• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about discrimination of violent crime convicts.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asofe

Hello, I have a question, example: If a person was convinced years ago for a violent crime, ex; rape, can he be denied a private company service, because of that? Example - online card game, which sometimes have real-life tournaments with real people in controlled environment and they banned him over "concern that criminal convict is direct threat to safety" I say its illegal and falls to the same category as of denying service because of race, my friend says its legal, because there are no direct law protecting convicts over such thing. Help to resolve our argument, which went for too long.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, I have a question, example: If a person was convinced years ago for a violent crime, ex; rape, can he be denied a private company service, because of that? Example - online card game, which sometimes have real-life tournaments with real people in controlled environment and they banned him over "concern that criminal convict is direct threat to safety" I say its illegal and falls to the same category as of denying service because of race, my friend says its legal, because there are no direct law protecting convicts over such thing. Help to resolve our argument, which went for too long.
You're wrong.

Also - US law only.

asofe

Eh as much as i dont want to, ill have to accept my defeat. :/

But i thought its unfair and there should be any way to cling onto something like equal opportunity rights or human rights, but nothing. Everywhere i go answer is the same - I am wrong.

For people who will try to integrate into normal society this will, kinda suck, since people can discriminate them as much as they want w/o any consequences.

Thank you guys, now ill have to swallow my ego and tell my friend i was wrong and my humanitarian mind fooled me again. :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For people who will try to integrate into normal society this will, kinda suck, since people can discriminate them as much as they want w/o any consequences.
I know - sucks to be a felon, huh?

Proserpina

But i thought its unfair and there should be any way to cling onto something like equal opportunity rights or human rights, but nothing. Everywhere i go answer is the same - I am wrong.

These are called "consequences of our actions".

:cool:

However since I'm such a kind little non-felon, I will pass on this bit of information. In the US, there ARE situations where it IS illegal to discriminate against someone because of their criminal background. Even felons.

asofe

Well indeed, it can be seen as "preventable" cause, aka if you misdemeanor you will be discriminated by everyone who wants for the rest of your life, but i still dont agree with it.

If people cant change, then why to keep jails? Just kill everyone who breaks the law once. P.p.s kinda looks flawed when you look back at "worst, murder or torture cases" Which went really public and if these people went out of jail by parole they would automatically get new identities and would never experience such discrimination... Kinda sends wrong message..?

For anyone curious. Argument started from this article: copy to google "Zach Jesse banned from magic the gathering" and youll find the story, probably its against the rules to post different web sites in forum, so ill play it safe. :)

Silverplum

Well indeed, it can be seen as "preventable" cause, aka if you misdemeanor you will be discriminated by everyone who wants for the rest of your life, but i still dont agree with it.

If people cant change, then why to keep jails? Just kill everyone who breaks the law once. P.p.s kinda looks flawed when you look back at "worst, murder or torture cases" Which went really public and if these people went out of jail by parole they would automatically get new identities and would never experience such discrimination... Kinda sends wrong message..?

For anyone curious. Argument started from this article: copy to google "Zach Jesse banned from magic the gathering" and youll find the story, probably its against the rules to post different web sites in forum, so ill play it safe. :)
We're not curious, and being blocked from a gaming site is of no consequence.

asofe

But, curiosity is the only way forward. :) Look how far as a species we've come driven by it.

Anyway, i think this thread is soaked up, but i do think ill stay in this forum for a little bit longer, unless hypothetical questions arent a thing here and people without any legal background are generally useless here.

Silverplum

But, curiosity is the only way forward. :) Look how far as a species we've come driven by it.

Anyway, i think this thread is soaked up, but i do think ill stay in this forum for a little bit longer, unless hypothetical questions arent a thing here and people without any legal background are generally useless here.
We don't like hypothetical questions and tend to not answer. It's a legal forum, and we aren't here to amuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">