• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial Indoctrination / Profiling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J Ritchey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington:

I wanted to know if it was actionable to pursue a suit for racial profiling and indoctrination in advertising.

I've noticed over the past 4 years since I entered the advertising business for a social media company that companies are doing what I call "Racial Indoctrination".
There wasn't a single discount retailer advertisement in Sundays paper that didn't position a white female opposite of a black male in all the clothing ads for children, teens and adults. Every single advertisement had some sort of similar stereotype or indoctrinated ad like this. I think its racist to do so. If it were one ad, not likely, 5 ads, still not likely nearly all major retailers ads, yeah, its not by accident, its indoctrination.

Eekamouse

If you want to see the ads you describe, go into advertising and create some. There is no laws that say you can't. Just like there are no laws that say advertisers have to do it your way. It doesn't make them racist when they don't.

LeeHarveyBlotto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington:

There wasn't a single discount retailer advertisement in Sundays paper that didn't position a white female opposite of a black male in all the clothing ads for children, teens and adults. Every single advertisement had some sort of similar stereotype or indoctrinated ad like this. I think its racist to do so.
I'd argue it's more racist to notice such things.

TigerD

Send them a letter informing them that you find the juxtaposition of white women and black men offensive. Ask that they correct this oversight by including in their next publication a black woman juxtaposed with a white man. Or a Latino and ...

You know what? It doesn't matter. The tenor or your original post is one that smacks of racism and bigotry.

I'm not going to simply poke fun at you and show your silliness through example -- you might not understand that. So I am instead going to address it directly:

You should be ashamed. That someone is offended because a white and black person grace the same advertisement is, frankly, disgusting. Now run along, your village is looking for you.

DC

J Ritchey

The tenor or your original post is one that smacks of racism and bigotry.
You should be ashamed. That someone is offended because a white and black person grace the same advertisement is, frankly, disgusting. Now run along, your village is looking for you.
Nice way to pull things out of context as I did not say that I find a black PERSON gracing the same ad as offensive. Therefore your words demonstrate your lack of intelligence.

For you to say people should not find such ads offensive demonstrates your skewed social views. If I had revealed to you what color I am (and I wont) and I then posted that the Christmas Tree or the Nativity scene in public was offensive me, you wouldn't bat an eye at trying to stop me from bringing it up. Because its politically correct to be offended only if you fit a certain stereotype. I find your ideology offensive and your presumptuousness a clear sign that you are a puppet.

So I'll RESTATE MY POINT
When advertisers at Shopko sold African American Dolls for less than White Dolls the African American Coalition threatened discrimination suit and Shopko quickly changed their prices. That to me is offensive because it is pure crap to find an act of racism in the price of a childs toy.

So people find the stereotype of racial profiling offensive in advertising, you have no right what so ever to tell me I'm wrong. I'm not some white guy spouting off on racist rant, I made not a single racist comment.

I'm an individual whos race is not important but I still find it offensive because the advertisers are demonstrating a "RACIAL PROFILE and STEREOTYPE" that is offensive. Why is it offensive, because its consistently the same profile. If the advertising also included any other "multi racial" ads I'd likely never have noticed it.

I'll end this by saying that you are the most vile type of human being on earth to use the race card so recklessly. Calling someone a racist without first establishing that they are is a liberal tactic to intimidate. Doesn't work on me and if you could see my skin color, you'd realize how ignorant you really are.

Last edited:

Silverplum

You seem to be lost.

We're not at all the sort of place where you can call names or have tantrums.

You want to go down the hall, to the right :)cool:), and then follow your nose to a different forum altogether.

You are a full time idiot and your words demonstrate your lack of intelligence. To find something offensive is not LIMITED to black people alone, is that understood you Liberal hater?
First of all you have no clue what color I am, send if I were offended by some ads disparaging blacks or Latinos I'd have no problem finding support. You are nothing more than a hateful person and a coward.
:rolleyes:

tranquility

Racist to notice racism?
Liberal!
Hmmm...here I was thinking his point made him just the opposite. It seems that those who identify as liberal talk about race a lot more than those who identify as conservative.

But, someday the dream may come true.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
--****** Luther King, Jr.

FlyingRon

Here let me fix that quote for you:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by their scores on standardized tests."​

There's no law that says they can't market to any segment of the population they wish to. I used to get Sunday papers from a couple of different cities, and you'll even find that the advertisements for the same company will have near identical ads with different races in them in different markets.

Silverplum

Since you're obviously pretty simple, I'll repeat myself.

You seem to be lost.

We're not at all the sort of place where you can call names or have tantrums.

You want to go down the hall, to the right :)p), and then follow your nose to a different forum altogether.

blahblahblah.

tranquility

Here let me fix that quote for you:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by their scores on standardized tests."​

There's no law that says they can't market to any segment of the population they wish to. I used to get Sunday papers from a couple of different cities, and you'll even find that the advertisements for the same company will have near identical ads with different races in them in different markets.
See what I mean J Ritchey?

I believe the quote was changed so that affirmative action is not considered racist because it's unfair to judge by objective measures.

J Ritchey

If you want to see the ads you describe, go into advertising and create some. There is no laws that say you can't. Just like there are no laws that say advertisers have to do it your way. It doesn't make them racist when they don't.
Hello Eekamouse;
Thanks for your response, at least it wasn't insulting.
I'm not sure if its just this forum or people not reading my question clearly;

My question really isn't about legal right to do something or not. Its about the profile or consistent stereotype that comes from forethought and planning. People don't spend millions of dollars to create advertising where this profiling is accidental.

Can I please have someone intelligent weigh in without trying to make my question racist?

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">