• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial profiling at a store in the mall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasminenorman04

The management at a Southcenter Mall store, named Love Culture in Seattle, Washington on August 23,2012 at 11:15am location does not appear to be AFRICAN AMERICAN friendly...... Here is the scoop. My Trend Forecasting teacher gave an assignment to go to the mall with a fellow male classmate, pick a store, and see how well they keep up with trends and styles. In the mist of doing so, I stop and as...k a employee "where do you display the new styles of clothing" her awnser was " we keep them in the front or in the middle by the cash registars". I continue with my walk through the store admiring a green blazer when Im approached by a manager who said "What are you doing asking associates Questions" my response was "I asked where the new arrivals were located" Her next response is " Your with that black guy with the tattos that looks up to no good" my response was what does the color of his skin have to do with us looking around the store" The last comment she made was I dont want you guys in the store walking aroung,touching my clothing without asking me first, Im the manager and if you have any questions dont talk to my employees ask me". Security was called and were waiting outside the door which was ridiculous. What did we do wrong? Why should we feel intimidated? The perception was im balck an im going to steal, reality is people who think like that are scum at the bottom of the barrel. WHAT HAPPENS TO ONE OF US< HAPPENS TO ALL OF US NO MATTER THE RACE,RELIGON,OR SEX...IS THIS REALLY WHAT AMERICA HAS COME TO

Antigone*

The management at a Southcenter Mall store, named Love Culture in Seattle, Washington on August 23,2012 at 11:15am location does not appear to be AFRICAN AMERICAN friendly...... Here is the scoop. My Trend Forecasting teacher gave an assignment to go to the mall with a fellow male classmate, pick a store, and see how well they keep up with trends and styles. In the mist of doing so, I stop and as...k a employee "where do you display the new styles of clothing" her awnser was " we keep them in the front or in the middle by the cash registars". I continue with my walk through the store admiring a green blazer when Im approached by a manager who said "What are you doing asking associates Questions" my response was "I asked where the new arrivals were located" Her next response is " Your with that black guy with the tattos that looks up to no good" my response was what does the color of his skin have to do with us looking around the store" The last comment she made was I dont want you guys in the store walking aroung,touching my clothing without asking me first, Im the manager and if you have any questions dont talk to my employees ask me". Security was called and were waiting outside the door which was ridiculous. What did we do wrong? Why should we feel intimidated? The perception was im balck an im going to steal, reality is people who think like that are scum at the bottom of the barrel. WHAT HAPPENS TO ONE OF US< HAPPENS TO ALL OF US NO MATTER THE RACE,RELIGON,OR SEX...IS THIS REALLY WHAT AMERICA HAS COME TO
Maybe it was your friend's appearance that spooked them and not his race. Describing someone as "the black person over there" is not necessarily racial profiling.

Concentrate on writing your paper, you have no legal course of action here.

Oh and it is you're, not your. Its I'm not im.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Maybe it was your friend's appearance that spooked them and not his race. Describing someone as "the black person over there" is not necessarily racial profiling.

Concentrate on writing your paper, you have no legal course of action here.
And use spell check when you finish your homework.

Proserpina

Since you mentioned the store and location by name I had to laugh at the complete irony of your entire post.

I wonder if you can guess why, OP?

sandyclaus

Nice story... but where is the legal question?

If you don't like the practices of a particular business establishment, don't patronize them. But you don't have any kind of legal recourse here.

Oh, and if you want to avoid a legal issue, you MIGHT want to edit out the name of the store in your post. If, for some reason, you were mistaken in your interpretation of the situation, just improperly suggesting that a store practices discrimination could get you sued for defamation.

tranquility

I agree with the previous posters and believe jasminenorman04 may have already had a Funsucker or two.

That does not mean he is not within his rights to publicize his thoughts in the school newspaper and the like. If a store is actually discriminating, the truth will come out when the light of day shines upon it.

Proserpina

Nice story... but where is the legal question?

If you don't like the practices of a particular business establishment, don't patronize them. But you don't have any kind of legal recourse here.

Oh, and if you want to avoid a legal issue, you MIGHT want to edit out the name of the store in your post. If, for some reason, you were mistaken in your interpretation of the situation, just improperly suggesting that a store practices discrimination could get you sued for defamation.

Awwww spoilsport! :p

Can't we at least wait to see if OP "gets" it? ;)

Just Blue

Awwww spoilsport! :p

Can't we at least wait to see if OP "gets" it? ;)
If I were feeling REALLY nasty I would sent this link to the store. Jus' sayin. If OP randomly feels the need to "dis" a store as a school assignment, then perhaps she should deal with the result. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">