• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial Segregation in Classroom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachNip13

Florida

My daughter has a team of 6th grade teachers. Two are African-American. Yesterday, when the entire 6th grade was together (about 80 kids), one of the AA teachers said "all blacks and hispanics come with me". She and the other AA teacher took them (about 30 kids) into another classroom and met with them for about 30 minutes.

Naturally all of the kids spoke to each other throughout the day, and details of the meeting came out. The minority students were told that there are certain white students that should be avoided because they are a bad influence. These white students were mentioned by name.

I contacted the principal, who initiated an investigation with the school district. If the district sweeps it under the rug, is there a legal case considering the treatment of both groups based on their race?

Antigone*

Florida

My daughter has a team of 6th grade teachers. Two are African-American. Yesterday, when the entire 6th grade was together (about 80 kids), one of the AA teachers said "all blacks and hispanics come with me". She and the other AA teacher took them (about 30 kids) into another classroom and met with them for about 30 minutes.

Naturally all of the kids spoke to each other throughout the day, and details of the meeting came out. The minority students were told that there are certain white students that should be avoided because they are a bad influence. These white students were mentioned by name.

I contacted the principal, who initiated an investigation with the school district. If the district sweeps it under the rug, is there a legal case considering the treatment of both groups based on their race?
I suggest a phone call to your local news outlet would help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Florida

Legal case for what?

CoachNip13

Legal case for what?
Really?

Students being treated differently because of their race. And a negative connotation being placed on white students by a black teacher who specifically called all minority students together for a meeting.

I will find out today if the white students were called together to be told about the bad influences in the black student population, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Try thinking of it as an employer doing this at the office and see if it clears it up.

Antigone*

Really?

Students being treated differently because of their race. And a negative connation being placed on white students by a black teacher who specifically called all minority students together for a meeting.

I will find out today if the white students were called together to be told about the bad influences in the black student population, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Try thinking of it as an employer doing this at the office and see if it clears it up.
So call the ACLU, but really. Zigner is right. A case for what???

proud_parent

My initial reaction upon reading the original post was to wonder whether this could be a variation on the blue eyes/brown eyes experiment.

OHRoadwarrior

It would only be discrimination if they took white kids and warned them about black or hispanic kids. Whites are not a protected class in the U.S. Have you ever heard of societies or organizations for the advancement of white people? J/K

Seriously though, I think they were attempting to courageously facilitate student integration with a bunch of bad apples. Most likely, these bad apples are a protected disabled class, that cannot be expelled legally.

CoachNip13

It would only be discrimination if they took white kids and warned them about black or hispanic kids. Whites are not a protected class in the U.S. Have you ever heard of societies or organizations for the advancement of white people? J/K

Seriously though, I think they were attempting to courageously facilitate student integration with a bunch of bad apples. Most likely, these bad apples are a protected disabled class, that cannot be expelled legally.
Your first part is incorrect and widely misunderstood. You cannot discriminate based on race, period: "Race is generally defined as a person's ancestry or ethnic characteristics. Everyone is some race or color. This means that it is illegal to discriminate against anyone, if the basis is their race or color."

A black manager who says "you are fired because you are white" will lose just as quickly as if the situation were reversed.

OHRoadwarrior

Your first part is incorrect and widely misunderstood. You cannot discriminate based on race, period: "Race is generally defined as a person's ancestry or ethnic characteristics. Everyone is some race or color. This means that it is illegal to discriminate against anyone, if the basis is their race or color."

A black manager who says "you are fired because you are white" will lose just as quickly as if the situation were reversed.
J/K means just kidding.

Mass_Shyster

The minority students were told that there are certain white students that should be avoided because they are a bad influence. These white students were mentioned by name.
It sounds like there are a couple of suspected white supremacists in the class, and they decided to give the students who are likely to be targeted by these clowns a heads up.

Assuming my guess is correct, how should this situation be handled, keeping in mind that these are suspected racists where the administration does not have sufficient evidence to do anything?

OHRoadwarrior

Kidding or not, your post was obnoxious.
I'm white. I did not take offense. As Mentioned by stevef it could be a Supremacist issue also. I think whatever it was, if two black teachers felt comfortable with it, it was in the children's best interests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">