• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

religious discrimination at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

insomniac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

ok at work today a piece of equipment was out of calibration i brought it up to my boss, he checked and said it had been sent out and calibrated at one of our other facilities, the person who did it forgot to sign off on it and change the date

I did not recall it being sent out and replaced with another one, so i checked my paperwork that showed i had used it daily for the 3 month period i checked.

Again I brought this up to my boss and explained my findings, his response was " Austin is a church going son of a gun, if he said he did it I believe him "
Implying that because I don't go to church my word and the paperwork showing it had not been done meant nothing.

Again i said my paperwork shows differently and don't recall it being sent out. at this point he says " what are you calling him a liar? "
I replied no I'm just saying his paperwork and mine does not match up, and that is a issue that needs to be resolved

I'm not trying to file a lawsuit over it but feel that should not have been said and is not a valid workplace reason to believe what someone says.

Would I be right in going to my works hr person about this so this can be addressed or am i taking this the wrong way?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

ok at work today a piece of equipment was out of calibration i brought it up to my boss, he checked and said it had been sent out and calibrated at one of our other facilities, the person who did it forgot to sign off on it and change the date

I did not recall it being sent out and replaced with another one, so i checked my paperwork that showed i had used it daily for the 3 month period i checked.

Again I brought this up to my boss and explained my findings, his response was " Austin is a church going son of a gun, if he said he did it I believe him "
Implying that because I don't go to church my word and the paperwork showing it had not been done meant nothing.

Again i said my paperwork shows differently and don't recall it being sent out. at this point he says " what are you calling him a liar? "
I replied no I'm just saying his paperwork and mine does not match up, and that is a issue that needs to be resolved

I'm not trying to file a lawsuit over it but feel that should not have been said and is not a valid workplace reason to believe what someone says.

Would I be right in going to my works hr person about this so this can be addressed or am i taking this the wrong way?
I just don't see where in your post there is "religious discrimination"

TigerD

There is definitely a red flag. But just the facts as presented don't rise to discrimination because of religion.

I would document the incident. Noting the problem with the machine and the records - and make copies. And then making note of the supervisor's comments.

Then continue to do your job.

TD

insomniac

i did not know how else to say it, i don't go to church and my boss knows it. just felt he was saying because the other person does. there word and paperwork is more valid then mine

insomniac

There is definitely a red flag. But just the facts as presented don't rise to discrimination because of religion.

I would document the incident. Noting the problem with the machine and the records - and make copies. And then making note of the supervisor's comments.

Then continue to do your job.

TD
thanks for the response and advice

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, let's say that the bosses viewpoint is totally based on religion. He thinks the other guy is 100% telling the truth because he goes to church and thinks that you are a 100% liar because you don't.

So what? What difference does it make? What discrimination have you suffered?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Seriously - HOW were you discriminated against? ASK to have a different scale to use!

And find some serious stuff to worry about.

TigerD

Seriously - HOW were you discriminated against? ASK to have a different scale to use!

And find some serious stuff to worry about.
From those fact - he hasn't. But is he being overlooked for promotion in favor of the good church-going folk? This is a red flag. It is not dispositive. But I would watch the situation a little closer afterward.

TD

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From those fact - he hasn't. But is he being overlooked for promotion in favor of the good church-going folk? This is a red flag. It is not dispositive. But I would watch the situation a little closer afterward.

TD
Maybe he's overlooked for promotion because he's a PITA...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">