• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restaurant Employee Discriminated Against my Younger Brother and I

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mysteriosix19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

One day after visiting our grandmother in the hospital, I decided to lighten up the mood by enjoying our favorite food, Japanese Dishes. It's past 7PM, not too busy. There was 2 or 3 separated single seats on the counter and 1 table (4 seats) open. The sign says please sit yourself and the waiter also reassured us saying "Sit wherever you like." So instead of choosing to be separated we sit together at a open table that has yet to be cleaned and wiped. So about 7 minutes of waiting and a couple walk into the restaurant and the waiter comes back to us and ask redundantly 5 times if we would like to move to a counter. Around this time there were open 2 single seats next to each other now. We look at each other puzzled, because the sign said "Please sit yourself" and the waiter also said "Sit wherever you like." We even waited at the table with food still there from the previous customer for about 8 to 9 minutes at this point. The couple wasn't even elderly or disabled. So for 3 minutes the waiter kept on bothering us if we wanted to move. We're looking around and we notice , everyone there is almost around their thirties or older. My brother and I were the only young group there. Now 5 minutes after the waiter gave up asking us to move, we are approached and ask if we would like to to order drinks. I tell her no thank you, and she gives us a sassy look and says, "No water then?" This is 15 minutes in since my brother and I sat at the table... Our table not yet cleaned or wiped, we are nagged about moving, and we weren't even started off with at least water. The waiter out of the other 5 or 6 tables there, still insist that my brother and I move. Saying the only reason why the waiter wants us to move is because a couple that is not disabled or elderly will not sit at a counter top. Despite my brother and I being there several minutes before them. It wasn't fair, can't they wait for a table to open up like every other customer? I have never The waiter then proceeds to clean our table finally after 17 minutes total. At around 22 minutes the waiter finally ask for our order, and we both order the same Ramen Soup Special. In about 10 minutes, the food arrives. The soup taste like oil and both the noodles plus meat are overcooked. After my meal, I asked for a manager and the waiter said "Oh, here uhm we don't have manager". So I said "How do I contact the owner or supervisor or your boss?" The waiter says "We don't give that information out." I reply "No phone number, or email or mailbox?" The waiter says, "Yeah we don't do that." So I try to make this conversation work, and I ask, "What times does your manager or boss come in?" I am told, "I can't tell you that." I tried my best to be able to escalate my issues I had with the service I received and this waiter is dodging very hard. I try one more time and ask, "Do you not have a boss or manager at all?" The waiter finally says, "Points to someone and says she is a assistant supervisor." At this point I'm like.... that's your buddy/friend and your just oiling me up in my head. I still put in effort and explain the situation. She proceeds with uhuh several times, I will talk to her... I'm pretty sure she will not even talk to her buddy about the incident. No apology nothing, just ruins my dinner with my younger brother. I would have expected some kind of token to show they were sorry. Maybe a refund or discount for my order.

By what I provided, presuming everything I said it true, were we discriminated against?
Do you think it would be fair for me to say I should get my money back? I just don't think they deserved it. We just wanted to lighten up after visiting our grandmother, we didn't go to a restaurant to be treated differently, just because we were young and probably wouldn't tip as much as a couple would. Around $9.00 for our food that was overcooked and somehow excessively oily. I've never been to a restaurant that doesn't automatically serve water before 15 minutes or after you do not order any drinks. It was ridiculous.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

One day after visiting our grandmother in the hospital, I decided to lighten up the mood by enjoying our favorite food, Japanese Dishes. It's past 7PM, not too busy. There was 2 or 3 separated single seats on the counter and 1 table (4 seats) open. The sign says please sit yourself and the waiter also reassured us saying "Sit wherever you like." So instead of choosing to be separated we sit together at a open table that has yet to be cleaned and wiped. So about 7 minutes of waiting and a couple walk into the restaurant and the waiter comes back to us and ask redundantly 5 times if we would like to move to a counter. Around this time there were open 2 single seats next to each other now. We look at each other puzzled, because the sign said "Please sit yourself" and the waiter also said "Sit wherever you like." We even waited at the table with food still there from the previous customer for about 8 to 9 minutes at this point. The couple wasn't even elderly or disabled. So for 3 minutes the waiter kept on bothering us if we wanted to move. We're looking around and we notice , everyone there is almost around their thirties or older. My brother and I were the only young group there. Now 5 minutes after the waiter gave up asking us to move, we are approached and ask if we would like to to order drinks. I tell her no thank you, and she gives us a sassy look and says, "No water then?" This is 15 minutes in since my brother and I sat at the table... Our table not yet cleaned or wiped, we are nagged about moving, and we weren't even started off with at least water. The waiter out of the other 5 or 6 tables there, still insist that my brother and I move. Saying the only reason why the waiter wants us to move is because a couple that is not disabled or elderly will not sit at a counter top. Despite my brother and I being there several minutes before them. It wasn't fair, can't they wait for a table to open up like every other customer? I have never The waiter then proceeds to clean our table finally after 17 minutes total. At around 22 minutes the waiter finally ask for our order, and we both order the same Ramen Soup Special. In about 10 minutes, the food arrives. The soup taste like oil and both the noodles plus meat are overcooked. After my meal, I asked for a manager and the waiter said "Oh, here uhm we don't have manager". So I said "How do I contact the owner or supervisor or your boss?" The waiter says "We don't give that information out." I reply "No phone number, or email or mailbox?" The waiter says, "Yeah we don't do that." So I try to make this conversation work, and I ask, "What times does your manager or boss come in?" I am told, "I can't tell you that." I tried my best to be able to escalate my issues I had with the service I received and this waiter is dodging very hard. I try one more time and ask, "Do you not have a boss or manager at all?" The waiter finally says, "Points to someone and says she is a assistant supervisor." At this point I'm like.... that's your buddy/friend and your just oiling me up in my head. I still put in effort and explain the situation. She proceeds with uhuh several times, I will talk to her... I'm pretty sure she will not even talk to her buddy about the incident. No apology nothing, just ruins my dinner with my younger brother. I would have expected some kind of token to show they were sorry. Maybe a refund or discount for my order.

By what I provided, presuming everything I said it true, were we discriminated against?
Do you think it would be fair for me to say I should get my money back? I just don't think they deserved it. We just wanted to lighten up after visiting our grandmother, we didn't go to a restaurant to be treated differently, just because we were young and probably wouldn't tip as much as a couple would. Around $9.00 for our food that was overcooked and somehow excessively oily. I've never been to a restaurant that doesn't automatically serve water before 15 minutes or after you do not order any drinks. It was ridiculous.
Oh good LAWD! :rolleyes:

Just don't eat there again.

Rwedunyet

Seriously? You got crappy service. If you didnt want to pay for the food, you should have left before ordering.

Honestly. :rolleyes:

Proserpina

If there was any discrimination, it would not be illegal discrimination.

The employers don't have to treat you the same way they treat the couple at Table 13.

sandyclaus

We were hungry and we waited. If we were to leave we'd have to wait again elsewhere.
And...?

Better to wait elsewhere and get better service AND better food than what happened where you already were.

Seriously, exercise your right as a consumer to never patronize that establishment ever again, and use your voice to spread the word.

[SARCASM] Geez. Kids nowadays. Always in a hurry. No patience. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: [/SARCASM]

justalayman

I've never been to a restaurant that doesn't automatically serve water before 15 minutes or after you do not order any drinks. It was ridiculous.
you apparently don't go out much. Heck, at one point, almost no restaurants served water without requesting it due to claimed water shortage. Since then, many restaurants have maintained this policy of serving it only if asked for.

Do you think it would be fair for me to say I should get my money back? I just don't think they deserved it. We just wanted to lighten up after visiting our grandmother, we didn't go to a restaurant to be treated differently, just because we were young and probably wouldn't tip as much as a couple would. Around $9.00 for our food that was overcooked and somehow excessively oily.
I think if you had such an issue with the food, you would have informed your waiter about it immediately upon discovering the issue. You don't get to eat your meal and then complain about it and expect to not be charged. It was good enough to eat; it was good enough to pay for it.

as to a discount; that is up to the restaurant. They are not obligated to do anything you suggest would be appropriate.

and yes, it appears you were discriminated against but there was nothing illegal about their discriminatory actions.

if you don't like the food or service at that restaurant, don't go back. If you really want to make a stink about it, leave a review on Yelp or some other review website. Other than that, ya got nothing. Time to worry about other things in life.

LdiJ

All this over $9???
I dunno...I used to own a restaurant and I would never have tolerated treating a guest like that...no matter what their age or apparent socioeconomic status. It doesn't mean that they have any grounds to sue, but if I had found out that any of my staff refused to give any of my guests the information needed to contact me, they would have been fired...and I would have refunded the guest's money.

Not cleaning off the table immediately would have been enough for me.

A smart restaurant owner is present...and does whatever is necessary, including waiting tables, cooking, cleaning off tables etc., to make sure that their guests are happy. A stupid restaurant owner hides behind their staff...or lets their staff create an environment where that kind if stuff can happen.

Again, that doesn't mean that the OP has any kind of legal avenue for discrimination...but I do think that the owner of the establishment might have been a whole lot more interested in what happened than his staff allowed.

Checking to see of the restaurant has a website is one good way to get information to the owner.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't disagree, but what sounds like a hole-in-the-wall in the equivalent of Chinatown (i.e. small ethnic restaurant)? It does not surprise me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">