• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restoration Of Firearm Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallBob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
In 1967 i was arrested for possession of beer and cigarettes that someone else had stolen and left with me . After waiting in jail for 7 months , my lawyer said that he worked a deal with the DA so that i would plead guilty and get a sentence of 1 year misdemeanor and be out shortly due to good time .
The judge asked me if i was promised any special deals ..my lawyer said NO and then the judge said i was sentenced to 1 - 3 years in state prison . Being 17 years old , what could i say ? I was sent to prison on the misdemeanor and served 18 months plus my jail time and released on parole .
Now at 61 , I still am being told that I can't buy a gun in a store because the government say's there's a problem on my record . It's not a felony or a violent crime , it's just holding some beer and cigarettes .The charge was possessing stolen property .
Is there any way i can get this straightened out with having a 3 year sentence on a misdemeanor ...NOT A FELONY ?

Thank You
Bob

Hot Topic

It was your claim that you were just holding stolen cigarettes and beer. Obviously, you weren't believed.

Somebody could say to themselves, "Well, this guy claims he was just holding things that somebody else stole, but the court found him guilty. Now he wants to buy a gun. If you believe him, he obviously was involved with a bad crowd as a teenager. They let him take the rap for something he didn't do. Why does he want gun now? He's not talking about being a responsible gun owner. He's talking about his right to have a gun."

Last edited:

CallBob

"It was your claim that you were just holding stolen cigarettes and beer. Obviously, you weren't believed."
Yes , what's the matter with you , can't you read ? I said i was holding it and sentenced for the possession of it ...what's not to understand ??
You really must be some kind of an idiot or worse..your simply implying things that are none of your business and wandering way of course !
I said i wish to restore my rights for something that happened 43 years ago when the law of the land was different than now and the same thing now would only be a minor misdemeanor and about a 30 day sentence to a county jail . This was " 43 " years ago ! I have bought and sold guns all along and bought hunting and sportsman license all my life . I currently own several guns .
My reason here is to fix the mess that the courts created 43 years ago by improperly sentencing me for over a year on a simple misdemeanor .
Now stop being a moron and keep off this subject unless you can contribute with a legal remedy ....Fool !

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ummm, excellent way of encouraging the volunteers here to respond to you :rolleyes:

CallBob

I really don't care if people who have no intention of trying to assist reply or not . As a matter of fact , i would rather ( as i said ) stay off the board and mind your own business if your only going to start some **** . :cool:

ecmst12

Sounds like your remedy is to find a different store that WILL sell you a gun. Jerk. Maybe they didn't sell it to you just because of your lousy attitude. That's legal, you know.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Pardon me. Evidently I was too subtle. I will rephrase.

By replying to the first responder in the way you did, you have created a situation where even those people who might otherwise have responded to your question in the way you would have liked them to are now unlikely to do so.

Way to cut your own throat. Good job.

CallBob

O

What's with you? It's takes a frigging fool to keep posting crap that has no bearing on the subject ...If U don't like it ..shut your mouth ..click your dam mouse and move along! I do not want your help ! Only people who can contribute in a helpful manner are allowed to post ! You are breaking rules by posting off subject ! I don't care how you feel about me ..! Gee ..sticks and stones ...

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is a public forum. There is no rule limiting who can answer. Nor do you get to decide who is and is not going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">