• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Secondary Boycotts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan tonning

Montana
I understand that a union or business can not boycott a business except the one they are directly trying to get a response from. Is that also true of individuals?

There is a large group of online friends who have already sent a petition with over a thousand signatures to Rockyou.inc. in regards to a game that we all play. Many of us have spent a good deal of money, then they changed the whole format of the game and we were asking them to change it back.

The next thing we were talking about doing is telling them we are going to contact their sponsors telling them that we will boycott them unless we either get our money back, get our game back the way it was, or they stop supporting them.. IS THIS LEGAL? OR DOES IT FALL UNDER SECONDARY BOYCOTTS?

dan tonning

Not all boycotts are legal.

Secondary boycotts are illegal, but I can't find anything that assures me of what that means exactly.. I got that if one business or union boycotts a business that is not directly involved in the dispute, but serves in any way the target, it is illegal..
But I can't find if that is only competing business or unions. We would be boycotting the sponsors not the target itself.

Antigone*

Montana
I understand that a union or business can not boycott a business except the one they are directly trying to get a response from. Is that also true of individuals?

There is a large group of online friends who have already sent a petition with over a thousand signatures to Rockyou.inc. in regards to a game that we all play. Many of us have spent a good deal of money, then they changed the whole format of the game and we were asking them to change it back.

The next thing we were talking about doing is telling them we are going to contact their sponsors telling them that we will boycott them unless we either get our money back, get our game back the way it was, or they stop supporting them.. IS THIS LEGAL? OR DOES IT FALL UNDER SECONDARY BOYCOTTS?
A secondary boycott is illegal under the Labor-Management Relations Act of 1947. I do not see where this would apply to consumbers exercising their rights to free speech.

Hot Topic

Montana

Unbelievable. That's why the perception of gamers is what it is. Get a life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">