• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have a lawyer present?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mom of Four

(New Jersey) I was driving on Route 516 South heading home to Middletown, NJ. Since I exited highway Route 18 I noticed a gray Hyundai following and tailgating me. I put and moved to the lane on my right as if I was making a right turn into a nearby shopping center. Since my daughter is three years old and she was with me was crying and she needed a diaper change desperately so I decided not to go to the shopping center. When the light turned green I went on straight. The gray Hyundai was still behind me. As I passed Old Bridge Police Headquarters on my left two police cars were flashing its light so I moved to my right to let them pass on through. One of the two police cars parked and the gray Hyundai was parked behind me. One police officer took my information and handed it over to the driver of that Hyundai. I was confused and didn't understand what was going on so I exited my vehicle to the officer. I was told to return to my car and the officer also told me that the civilian driving the car was actually an off-duty police officer. The off duty officer wrote me two tickets and he also again told me to return to my car once again. I asked why didn't the off duty police officer come and take my information. The off-duty officer threatened to arrest me and take my child to protective services. I felt that I was wronged and racial profiled because I am proud Black woman. I went to the Old Bridge Police Headquarters and asked to be directed to the Chief of Police. The attending receptionist told me to visit the second floor. When I got there I told what had happened to me and I was soon buzzed in . The secretary of the Chief of Police was in the office and I explained why I was there. I was then told that the Chief of Police left on emergency business and that she was not sure when he would be returning. I then asked to speak to the person who was taking the place of the Chief of Police during his absence. She told me the person overseeing the department was Lieutenant Lynch. I politely asked if she could get him for me while I waited on the second floor. When she returned she brought with her a gentlemen in plain, everyday clothes. He refused to identify himself and only showed me his badge. He suggested we return to the lower level, because of a previous knee injury I took the elevator while he took the stairs. When I arrived to the lower level the off-duty police officer was dressed in his police officer uniform and was conversing with his fellow officer behind a sheet of bulletproof glass. I was then told to wait for Lieutenant Lynch who would be down to speak with me in "just a moment". I waited and waited for a Lieutenant O’ Lynch who never showed up. I had a feeling that the intention was for me to never file the complaint against the off-duty officer of meet with anyone who could help me with such an endeavor. Now, I must attend an interview with the Old Bridge Police Department and I am wondering where I should have a lawyer present?

quincy

Umm, I am not sure I understand the situation. What were the two tickets for? Why would the police officer threaten to arrest you and take your child to child protective services??
There has got to me more to your story than you just randomly being stopped so an officer can give you a couple of tickets - at least, I am hoping that is the case.

sunshinegirl2

(New Jersey) I was driving on Route 516 South heading home to Middletown, NJ. Since I exited highway Route 18 I noticed a gray Hyundai following and tailgating me. I put and moved to the lane on my right as if I was making a right turn into a nearby shopping center. Since my daughter is three years old and she was with me was crying and she needed a diaper change desperately so I decided not to go to the shopping center. When the light turned green I went on straight. The gray Hyundai was still behind me. As I passed Old Bridge Police Headquarters on my left two police cars were flashing its light so I moved to my right to let them pass on through. One of the two police cars parked and the gray Hyundai was parked behind me. One police officer took my information and handed it over to the driver of that Hyundai. I was confused and didn't understand what was going on so I exited my vehicle to the officer. I was told to return to my car and the officer also told me that the civilian driving the car was actually an off-duty police officer. The off duty officer wrote me two tickets and he also again told me to return to my car once again. I asked why didn't the off duty police officer come and take my information. The off-duty officer threatened to arrest me and take my child to protective services. I felt that I was wronged and racial profiled because I am proud Black woman. I went to the Old Bridge Police Headquarters and asked to be directed to the Chief of Police. The attending receptionist told me to visit the second floor. When I got there I told what had happened to me and I was soon buzzed in . The secretary of the Chief of Police was in the office and I explained why I was there. I was then told that the Chief of Police left on emergency business and that she was not sure when he would be returning. I then asked to speak to the person who was taking the place of the Chief of Police during his absence. She told me the person overseeing the department was Lieutenant Lynch. I politely asked if she could get him for me while I waited on the second floor. When she returned she brought with her a gentlemen in plain, everyday clothes. He refused to identify himself and only showed me his badge. He suggested we return to the lower level, because of a previous knee injury I took the elevator while he took the stairs. When I arrived to the lower level the off-duty police officer was dressed in his police officer uniform and was conversing with his fellow officer behind a sheet of bulletproof glass. I was then told to wait for Lieutenant Lynch who would be down to speak with me in "just a moment". I waited and waited for a Lieutenant O’ Lynch who never showed up. I had a feeling that the intention was for me to never file the complaint against the off-duty officer of meet with anyone who could help me with such an endeavor. Now, I must attend an interview with the Old Bridge Police Department and I am wondering where I should have a lawyer present?
Im not sure how your state government operates...but if this happened in my state, you would contact the state attorney general office with your complaint and the incident would be investigated and followed up by the atty general office or whomever the case was delegated. Good luck to you

Just Blue

Im not sure how your state government operates...but if this happened in my state, you would contact the state attorney general office with your complaint and the incident would be investigated and followed up by the atty general office or whomever the case was delegated. Good luck to you
Don't offer advice unless it is specific to the state in question. You can google the answer or sit back and learn from other posters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">