• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should i press charges on the officer for failure of professional responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thatguy2535

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado I saw a cop leaning against a no loitering sign. I asked him why he was loitering. He said "i'm enforcing the law" i asked for more detail he said "give me your ID" he said he was giving me a ticket for loitering for stopping and "loitering" while asking him a question. While standing there i saw a group of kids loitering i asked why i was getting a ticket and they were not. He said "they don't matter" while he was writing down my information he calls for back up a girl follows one of the officers up the alley she loiters stands still and asked to give my buddy a hug. (my friend was getting a ticket too for asking the same thing he was also filming it) The girls stands where i was standing and keeps asking to give him a hug, I ask why is she not getting a ticket? After that he tells her to leave she doesn't and asked again he asked a third time for her to leave and she did, this whole time kids were still loitering. He notices my buddy filming it. He told him if he deletes the video he will let him go. My friend does so, he watched him delete it and right after smiles and said he was getting a ticket still. He said he wanted it gone so it wouldn't be placed on youtube. After he asked how old i was i say 18. He laughs and says well i am arresting you then. Puts me in handcuffs and starts asking me if i had anything he should know about. I say no. He finds my pipe and weed. I was told that if arrested they have to read you your rights before asking questions. He asked me "if i had anything he should know about" after i was in handcuffs. that is my first question is this true? Next he puts the handcuffs on so tight that they cut into my wrist to the point where i was bleeding from both wrist i took pictures to prove this. My next question is should i complain about this in court. My next question is, because there were other people loitering and he refused to wright them tickets but give me a and my friend a ticket is that discrimination against me? I have witnesses that will testify that saw everything should i press charges against that police officer? Was i wronged in anyway? Look i know you people on this sight can be *******s and you might see me as some punk kid who was asking for it. I am asking for a fair answer. I feel i was wronged i'm not sure i need to know. He physically hurt me. He would give me a ticket but not the other people breaking the law. I have not changed the story in anyway. I know by stopping and asking him was stupid. But i feel what i he did after the fact was wrong. Did i have the right to ask for more detail? Can he put cuffs on tight enough to make you physically bleed? Is it discrimination and or failure of personal responsibility to give me a ticket but not the others breaking the law? Should he of read me my rights after handcuffing and questioning me? Was it wrong of him to lie and say to my friend if he would delete the video he would let him go then turn around and give him the ticket after he deleted it? If so should i fight the ticket and or press charges against the arresting officer?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado I saw a cop leaning against a no loitering sign. I asked him why he was loitering. He said "i'm enforcing the law" i asked for more detail he said "give me your ID" he said he was giving me a ticket for loitering for stopping and "loitering" while asking him a question. While standing there i saw a group of kids loitering i asked why i was getting a ticket and they were not. He said "they don't matter" while he was writing down my information he calls for back up a girl follows one of the officers up the alley she loiters stands still and asked to give my buddy a hug. (my friend was getting a ticket too for asking the same thing he was also filming it) The girls stands where i was standing and keeps asking to give him a hug, I ask why is she not getting a ticket? After that he tells her to leave she doesn't and asked again he asked a third time for her to leave and she did, this whole time kids were still loitering. He notices my buddy filming it. He told him if he deletes the video he will let him go. My friend does so, he watched him delete it and right after smiles and said he was getting a ticket still. He said he wanted it gone so it wouldn't be placed on youtube. After he asked how old i was i say 18. He laughs and says well i am arresting you then. Puts me in handcuffs and starts asking me if i had anything he should know about. I say no. He finds my pipe and weed. I was told that if arrested they have to read you your rights before asking questions. He asked me "if i had anything he should know about" after i was in handcuffs. that is my first question is this true? Next he puts the handcuffs on so tight that they cut into my wrist to the point where i was bleeding from both wrist i took pictures to prove this. My next question is should i complain about this in court. My next question is, because there were other people loitering and he refused to wright them tickets but give me a and my friend a ticket is that discrimination against me? I have witnesses that will testify that saw everything should i press charges against that police officer? Was i wronged in anyway? Look i know you people on this sight can be *******s and you might see me as some punk kid who was asking for it. I am asking for a fair answer. I feel i was wronged i'm not sure i need to know. He physically hurt me. He would give me a ticket but not the other people breaking the law. I have not changed the story in anyway. I know by stopping and asking him was stupid. But i feel what i he did after the fact was wrong. Did i have the right to ask for more detail? Can he put cuffs on tight enough to make you physically bleed? Is it discrimination and or failure of personal responsibility to give me a ticket but not the others breaking the law? Should he of read me my rights after handcuffing and questioning me? Was it wrong of him to lie and say to my friend if he would delete the video he would let him go then turn around and give him the ticket after he deleted it? If so should i fight the ticket and or press charges against the arresting officer?
  • There is no requirement that a police officer arrest EVERY criminal he see.
  • Since you were not informed of your rights prior to the custodial questioning, your answers cannot be used in court.
  • It may be discrimination to ticket you and not your friends, but it's not illegal discrimination.
  • You haven't articulated a valid defense against the loitering charge, so you will probably be found guilty.
  • You don't have the option to press charges. That's the job of a prosecutor. You can file a complaint, but I suspect you will be seen as "some punk kid who was asking for it."
  • Unless this officer stays up nights sharpening his handcuffs, you would only have bruising from handcuffs being too tight. The bleeding was likely caused by the handcuffs moving against your skin.
  • Don't argue with the police when you have a pocket full of contraband.

tranquility

The girls stands where i was standing and keeps asking to give him a hug, I ask why is she not getting a ticket?
Did it seem she was trying to antagonize the officer as much as you were?

I mean, really. If your life has been lived to the point where carrying around contraband is so casually done that you go out of your way to garner police attention for no reason, I'm not sure how we can help you.

Taking your side as true, certainly many things went wrong and you may have defenses to some of the crimes and evidence which might get excluded. Also, you could have the potential of a civil rights lawsuit. But, you can't do it. You need an attorney. But before you worry about anything else (except a claim against the government agency), you need an attorney for your criminal trial.

xylene

When you go to bust someones balls, make sure you don't have glass ones yourself.

Idiot.

"I'll go crank on a cop with some schwag weed in my pocket. I am the 99%"

tranquility

What possible class could it be for?

The questions seem more civil rights oriented, but the issues are subtle enough to not be for a high school level but simple enough for those actually studying constitutional rights.

I'm not arguing the point as the post is pretty silly. But the weaving of torts and crimes is not the way a higher level course would do it--unless it was a much higher level course. If it were, the OP would have written it up better. (Or, is a great trickster.) The call of the question and the title also lead me away from thinking homework.

slwslw

Cop leaning against no loitering sign

Cop leaning against no loitering sign??

That's funny. That would have been good for a Seinfeld episode.

Sounds like you're making the whole thing up to raz everyone here. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">