• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slum Landlord, Bad Tenets, and Rude Police, Please help me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluescat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Yesterday Sunday was the worst day I've had in a long time. I'm in my late 20's my mother early 60's It's Sunday afternoon evening, my mother is taking a nap and I'm busy relaxing playing some video games when all of a sudden I heard a loud pounding on my door my mother awakes because of it. My mother and I live in an apartment which I pay rent too. The complex we live in the cops are always knocking on our door getting the wrong apartment. At first we thought it was that and ignored it. they came back banging hard on my window. I told my mom they are going to break the window doing that so I decided to come out. There were 3 of them around the back of the house pounding at some guys door that lived beside me.

I asked whats up? They asked me where can I find apartment 4, I told them there is 2 apartment 4s mine and some other guy. Personally I don't know these other tenets in my building, most are gypsy's and drug pushers and I don't want to get involved in that. They told me that they were sent here because someone said there is a dead body of an older woman that's smelling up the hallway. When they realized I lived in the apartment that they were to respond to, right away they got offensive, wanted to come in. I told them I'm not letting them in that this isn't communist Russia or Iraq that they can't come in and out of my place any time they want to. I told them if they want to come in call a judge for a warrant or call up the landlord if you want to come in so badly about a false claim.

They kept it up and up but I wouldn't give in, I asked for the officer I was mainly talking too what his rank he said Lt. I asked to speak with his captain he just ignored my question. They called up the maintenance guy, which is basically some guy that comes over once in a while to check the apartments he's basically my landlords bar drinking buddy, because my landlord is a drunk. He didn't have the keys that's when the cops started trying to pull apartment my windows I gave in and told them to call my mother through the door to let them in. My mother told me they never called and decided to answer since they were going to break the windows at any moment. All the time I was reasonable and claim and I cooperated with them I just new they couldn't get into my place without my consent or a landlords. If they didn't like that and thought I was being rude tough I may not be a lawyer but I know some of my rights and they can't just walk into my place when ever they feel like it by using bogus claims. They placed me in the cop car right before my mother answered the door. They told her about a dead body report she said well here I am but they wanted to come into my apartment anyway.

They found nothing, nothing illegal nothing at all and made my place worse than what it was, sure my place might not be the neatest but it was the weekend and how did I expect the police to be barging in at my door since I have no criminal history and do no illegal activities. My mother was getting concerned because she didn't know where I was or what happen to me. They were nasty to her and told her that if she doesn't shut up that they are going to take me her son to jail.

They let me out of the cop car bitched at me for not letting them in when they asked and told me this could have been resolved sooner. Funny thing is people who have died in these complexes they always send an ambulance in response, nothing was called. My mother wasn't sure if they were real cops, they carried no badge or number only a black cop suite with there last name attached which looked like they never wore because the outfits looked too new. I've never seen them around the area and I call the police a lot in my area to help them catch these drug pushers They were also short for wearing boots they were as tall as I am, I'm 5'11 my mother was taller than some of them and she's 5'4.

We have been having problems with the tenets up stairs for years, the landlord is a slum, never comes in to fix our place, I have no working frig and had to buy my own little frig at wall-mart I asked the landlord if he can get a new one for me he said I already have a frig he was talking about the one I bought at wall-mart. The toilet leaks, a cracked ceiling that could possible cave at any moment, a gas heater that don't work. Now I have a whole at my side window I'm going to have to fix because of these rude police.

The landlord does nothing about the tenets that live up stairs, they are gypsy do nothing but live off the system and cause trouble for other people, they are also drunks and druggies that follow me all around town, I don't have a car right now and I've seen how they have an uncle that drops them off a few blocks in front of me just so they can bump into me.

Hard times I would moved yes, but I work as a freelance computer programmer and that doesn't come with a typical pay check when ever I contact a new apartment they always decline me because I don't have a normal pay check even though plenty of times I had money to pay for first and second months rent plus deposit.

I don't know what to do. I feel like someone is going to call up social services and report us in maybe take my mother way I'm the only person she and I have. I don't want this. I want my landlord to pay for the mistreatment he's done to my mother and I through the years living here. I don't complain and a bit of a push over I'm more of a logical person and think with my head. My mother tells me I need to do something and how I use to have so much will when I was younger when people tried to harass us.. After this fiasco I feel like I've awoke but I don't know what my legal options are, I live in New York but not NYC.

I feel like these people the landlord tenets are going to get away with it.

A few hours later I went to the police department to talk to the captain to see if I can speak with a detective about the harassment the neighbors have been doing to me or make an appointment. he basically shrouded me off but said he would make a report and the detective will see if he will talk the case. He didn't asked me for my phone number. I told him I'll be back in a day to pay for the report copies.

Please help me.

sandyclaus

I think you overreacted. If the police got a report about a dead body, they needed to get inside to investigate. The fact that you were so rude and reluctant to let them made then think that you may be hiding something (and rightly so). They didn't necessarily need a search warrant. They were responding to a dead body call, which gives them probably cause to investigate the allegations.

If you had nothing to hide, then you needed to let the police in to let them see for themselves. By refusing them entry in the manner that you did, you only made the problem worse, and escalated the issue when it wasn't necessary. Had you just let them in to see that there was no dead body, then they could have taken the issue up with whomever made the report and dealt with it that way.

If you have a problem with the LLs and don't like how they run the apartment complex, perhaps you should move out, or report them to the authorities to inspect what you claim to be unlivable or hazardous conditions. But you don't have the right to take out your frustrations on the police, who were only there trying to do their job and respond to a call.

Gail in Georgia

"They found nothing, nothing illegal nothing at all and made my place worse than what it was, sure my place might not be the neatest but it was the weekend and how did I expect the police to be barging in at my door since I have no criminal history and do no illegal activities.

They let me out of the cop car bitched at me for not letting them in when they asked and told me this could have been resolved sooner."

They are correct.

Reading between the lines one gets the impression that the odor of something dead was coming from your rental unit and perhaps this implies that your personal living conditions are so bad that your fear social services might be called. If this is the case you might wish to focus some energy on cleaning up your place.

"I want the landlord to pay for the mistreatment he's done to my mother and I for the years we've lived here".

What mistreatment? The landlord called the cops because of the odor coming from your apartment? And you are now claiming the police made a hole in the side window because you wouldn't answer the door when they contacted you regarding a dead body odor?

Gail

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Yesterday Sunday was the worst day I've had in a long time. I'm in my late 20's my mother early 60's It's Sunday afternoon evening, my mother is taking a nap and I'm busy relaxing playing some video games when all of a sudden I heard a loud pounding on my door my mother awakes because of it. My mother and I live in an apartment which I pay rent too. The complex we live in the cops are always knocking on our door getting the wrong apartment. At first we thought it was that and ignored it. they came back banging hard on my window. I told my mom they are going to break the window doing that so I decided to come out. There were 3 of them around the back of the house pounding at some guys door that lived beside me.

I asked whats up? They asked me where can I find apartment 4, I told them there is 2 apartment 4s mine and some other guy. Personally I don't know these other tenets in my building, most are gypsy's and drug pushers and I don't want to get involved in that. They told me that they were sent here because someone said there is a dead body of an older woman that's smelling up the hallway. When they realized I lived in the apartment that they were to respond to, right away they got offensive, wanted to come in. I told them I'm not letting them in that this isn't communist Russia or Iraq that they can't come in and out of my place any time they want to. I told them if they want to come in call a judge for a warrant or call up the landlord if you want to come in so badly about a false claim.

They kept it up and up but I wouldn't give in, I asked for the officer I was mainly talking too what his rank he said Lt. I asked to speak with his captain he just ignored my question. They called up the maintenance guy, which is basically some guy that comes over once in a while to check the apartments he's basically my landlords bar drinking buddy, because my landlord is a drunk. He didn't have the keys that's when the cops started trying to pull apartment my windows I gave in and told them to call my mother through the door to let them in. My mother told me they never called and decided to answer since they were going to break the windows at any moment. All the time I was reasonable and claim and I cooperated with them I just new they couldn't get into my place without my consent or a landlords. If they didn't like that and thought I was being rude tough I may not be a lawyer but I know some of my rights and they can't just walk into my place when ever they feel like it by using bogus claims. They placed me in the cop car right before my mother answered the door. They told her about a dead body report she said well here I am but they wanted to come into my apartment anyway.

They found nothing, nothing illegal nothing at all and made my place worse than what it was, sure my place might not be the neatest but it was the weekend and how did I expect the police to be barging in at my door since I have no criminal history and do no illegal activities. My mother was getting concerned because she didn't know where I was or what happen to me. They were nasty to her and told her that if she doesn't shut up that they are going to take me her son to jail.

They let me out of the cop car bitched at me for not letting them in when they asked and told me this could have been resolved sooner. Funny thing is people who have died in these complexes they always send an ambulance in response, nothing was called. My mother wasn't sure if they were real cops, they carried no badge or number only a black cop suite with there last name attached which looked like they never wore because the outfits looked too new. I've never seen them around the area and I call the police a lot in my area to help them catch these drug pushers They were also short for wearing boots they were as tall as I am, I'm 5'11 my mother was taller than some of them and she's 5'4.

We have been having problems with the tenets up stairs for years, the landlord is a slum, never comes in to fix our place, I have no working frig and had to buy my own little frig at wall-mart I asked the landlord if he can get a new one for me he said I already have a frig he was talking about the one I bought at wall-mart. The toilet leaks, a cracked ceiling that could possible cave at any moment, a gas heater that don't work. Now I have a whole at my side window I'm going to have to fix because of these rude police.

The landlord does nothing about the tenets that live up stairs, they are gypsy do nothing but live off the system and cause trouble for other people, they are also drunks and druggies that follow me all around town, I don't have a car right now and I've seen how they have an uncle that drops them off a few blocks in front of me just so they can bump into me.

Hard times I would moved yes, but I work as a freelance computer programmer and that doesn't come with a typical pay check when ever I contact a new apartment they always decline me because I don't have a normal pay check even though plenty of times I had money to pay for first and second months rent plus deposit.

I don't know what to do. I feel like someone is going to call up social services and report us in maybe take my mother way I'm the only person she and I have. I don't want this. I want my landlord to pay for the mistreatment he's done to my mother and I through the years living here. I don't complain and a bit of a push over I'm more of a logical person and think with my head. My mother tells me I need to do something and how I use to have so much will when I was younger when people tried to harass us.. After this fiasco I feel like I've awoke but I don't know what my legal options are, I live in New York but not NYC.

I feel like these people the landlord tenets are going to get away with it.

A few hours later I went to the police department to talk to the captain to see if I can speak with a detective about the harassment the neighbors have been doing to me or make an appointment. he basically shrouded me off but said he would make a report and the detective will see if he will talk the case. He didn't asked me for my phone number. I told him I'll be back in a day to pay for the report copies.

Please help me.
Are you writing a book?

Your not going to make the landlord pay you for " mistreatment".

When the police were outside and you didn't know if they were real ,you could have dialed 911 . 911 technician could have looked it up to see if the police were in fact dispatched there . You then could have let them in to check and they would have left.

You complain about this when you claim you have nothing to hide.

If you want repairs made ,send the landlord a written request RRR certified mail.

If your request go unanswered contact you local Code enforcement Office to have them come out for an inspection .

If the fridge that isn't working is included in the rent and the LL won't repair ,buy a good used one and keep the receipt. Next time deduct the cost from the rent and provide a receipt copy .Don't loose the receipt.

bluescat

Update:

Today the same 3 peace officers came to my door, the Lt knocked so hard I thought he was going to break it down. I answered and stepped out of the hallway the Lt is screaming down my neck about the people up stairs were turn into cps. At the time I didn't know what cps was until I looked it up after they left. I was calm and asked him what is cbs which I thought he said. He told me it's none of my business then he asked me if I was on the phone with anyone at all today, I said no. HE then said I'm going to find out who it was and if it was you I come back and your getting arrested he then left with the other two peace officers.

I called one of my lawyer because even though I live in a slum, I'm not financially poor, (I have a condition which causes me to hoard money this is most probably why I haven't moved all these years besides the problem difficulty with finding a new place) he told me not to worry and to blow them off. HE is also going to look into who the peace officers were that keep coming to my door he also said that they had no right to do that to you since they had no proof and specially before the cps case was even investigated, since cps is suppose to be a private matter and anonymous even though I wasn't the one who reported it.

I also have contacted the inspector, and after I told my lawyer what kind of shape my apartment is he told me that the inspector will most probably shut down the building.

A few years ago someone turn in my landlord to the inspector that week before the inspector came the landlord threaten all of us not to speak with the inspector or tell him what you experience or we will be kicked out and have bad reference which I blew off because I liked living here.

Personally I'm one of those people that have money but live poor. I have always felt mostly safe in my apartment I also liked it because I could do whatever I wanted without worry. until Sunday when now I feel like anyone can come in and out of my apartment with any bogus claim and will be probably moving.

I have also thought about contacting an old detective from the big city a few states away I use to live in and work with when I was a paid undercover civilian informant years ago about this problem and this small town police department.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

So you were a rat in the city where you used to live? Figures. Why do you think calling a cop from that city will make any difference in this city? The cops in this city certainly don't seem to think much of you, do they? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Eekamouse

Oh and if you're so well off, hire a maid to clean your place and get rid of the "dead smells" that other people find offensive since you're too lazy to keep the place clean yourself. Ick.

bluescat

Oh and if you're so well off, hire a maid to clean your place and get rid of the "dead smells" that other people find offensive since you're too lazy to keep the place clean yourself. Ick.
Thanks for trolling. No one knows of who I was in the past in this town, I'm a very private person and like to keep it that way. Also the dead smell is coming out of the steps in the hallway from the basement since the landlord won't fix the broken pipes that are leaking raw sewage. The landlord knows full hardenly about the drug trafficking that goes on in his complexes or at least should I say he gets his cut. I suspect some of the peace officers in this town are also corrupt probably the ones who keep knocking on my door since they're not the ones who patrol this beat. I also suspect someone knows about my past and this is why I'm getting harassed.

I'm going to ignore your comments since you act like a criminal.

Last edited:

ShyCat

No one knows of who I was in the past in this town, I'm a very private person and like to keep it that way. ... I also suspect someone knows about my past and this is why I'm getting harassed.

Contradictory statements in the same paragraph. Kind of hard to keep your story straight, eh?

BL

Update:

Today the same 3 peace officers came to my door, the Lt knocked so hard I thought he was going to break it down. I answered and stepped out of the hallway the Lt is screaming down my neck about the people up stairs were turn into cps. At the time I didn't know what cps was until I looked it up after they left. I was calm and asked him what is cbs which I thought he said. He told me it's none of my business then he asked me if I was on the phone with anyone at all today, I said no. HE then said I'm going to find out who it was and if it was you I come back and your getting arrested he then left with the other two peace officers.

I called one of my lawyer because even though I live in a slum, I'm not financially poor, (I have a condition which causes me to hoard money this is most probably why I haven't moved all these years besides the problem difficulty with finding a new place) he told me not to worry and to blow them off. HE is also going to look into who the peace officers were that keep coming to my door he also said that they had no right to do that to you since they had no proof and specially before the cps case was even investigated, since cps is suppose to be a private matter and anonymous even though I wasn't the one who reported it.

I also have contacted the inspector, and after I told my lawyer what kind of shape my apartment is he told me that the inspector will most probably shut down the building.

A few years ago someone turn in my landlord to the inspector that week before the inspector came the landlord threaten all of us not to speak with the inspector or tell him what you experience or we will be kicked out and have bad reference which I blew off because I liked living here.

Personally I'm one of those people that have money but live poor. I have always felt mostly safe in my apartment I also liked it because I could do whatever I wanted without worry. until Sunday when now I feel like anyone can come in and out of my apartment with any bogus claim and will be probably moving.

I have also thought about contacting an old detective from the big city a few states away I use to live in and work with when I was a paid undercover civilian informant years ago about this problem and this small town police department.
Why are you ranting on a legal forum when you have money and paid lawyers ?

Who's the troll?

ecmst12

Sounds like you're a hoarder and your apartment is probably a hazard.

You don't mention having any children so why would you care if they called CPS?

Sounds like it's time for you to move out of the slums.

sandyclaus

Sounds like you're a hoarder and your apartment is probably a hazard.

You don't mention having any children so why would you care if they called CPS?

Sounds like it's time for you to move out of the slums.
Co-sign!

Why would anyone who was allegedly so well-off CHOOSE to live in a slum, where he has "rude" peace officers coming to his house and invading his space and LLs who have nothing better to do than harass and threaten them?

IMHO, it sounds like OP is a spoiled brat who likes to complain about things he TOTALLY has control over, just to hear his own voice and see what happens.

Stop feeding the troll. Let him find another audience for his brand of manure.

Gail in Georgia

I suspect the OP is concerned regarding APS (Adult Protective Services) in regards to removing his/her mother from the current apartment environment.

Thus, the hesitancy of letting anyone into the apartment.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">