• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spanish option discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonas1969

Hi,

My name is J I live in California. I've notice that every single phone recording Spanish is always option number two right after English, this seems highly unfair to the numerous languages out there. While I understand Hispanics are the largest growing minority around it appears that population has been given preferential treatment. Would it be possible to sue state agency to change this position and what are the chances of winning?

By the way I'm of Latin descent

Last edited by a moderator:

OHRoadwarrior

You should sue to have all options removed. It is preferential to have phone and ATM systems cater to those incapable of understand the language of this country which is English. We should not be forced to select an option to be US citizens.

ajkroy

You should sue to have all options removed. It is preferential to have phone and ATM systems cater to those incapable of understand they language of this country which is English. We should not be forced to select an option to be US citizens.
While English may be the predominant language in parts (even most) of the country, the US has no official language. Melting pot and all that. ;)

I'mTheFather

J has a point, but I would HATE to have to listen to the prompts for a litany of languages before I could continue my call.

OHRoadwarrior

The US has been an English speaking country since it was formed. Regardless of who has entered it. As part of obtaining citizenship one is expected to learn it.

While English may be the predominant language in parts (even most) of the country, the US has no official language. Melting pot and all that. ;)

jonas1969

The point of the post is not whether English should be force upon others, but it appears that public and private sectors have given Spanish speakers special consideration, which appears to be a form of discrimination. If the recording stated if you are white press number 2 and all others press number 3 , I think there would be an uproar. Again the question pertains to not giving any particular group special treatment.

jonas1969

I would think that any form of discrimination should not be allowed in this country.

quincy

This is the first time (and will probably be the last time ;)) that I provide a link to Wikipedia, but if you read through the information provided there (remembering the source is not always a reliable one), you can get an idea why Spanish has been used as an alternative option to English in the U.S.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language

I suppose you could make a good argument for a "Mandarin" option, too, though. :)

ajkroy

The US has been an English speaking country since it was formed. Regardless of who has entered it. As part of obtaining citizenship one is expected to learn it.
But one is not required to obtain citizenship to live here. I am a perfect example, though I learned English as my first language, the point is the same. I have lived and worked here for three decades...but am not Naturalized.

OHRoadwarrior

Then you do not matter. Go create controversy in your own country. When you care enough about the US to become a citizen, you have the expectation to have the right to an opinion on how it is run. Until then, all you are doing is taking advantage of the opportunities the country has to offer.

But one is not required to obtain citizenship to live here. I am a perfect example, though I learned English as my first language, the point is the same. I have lived and worked here for three decades...but am not Naturalized.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Then you do not matter. Go create controversy in your own country. When you care enough about the US to become a citizen, you have the expectation to have the right to an opinion on how it is run. Until then, all you are doing is taking advantage of the opportunities the country has to offer.

That's ironic.

But let's see. If you become a citizen, you're entitled to "take advantage" of any and all opportunities. If you're an LPR, many of these "advantages" are out of reach.

Sooo.... what's your point again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">