• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special Education Students in Jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Not sure if I am in the right forum but can someone please give me information on the law and the current class action suit regarding educating Special Education Students in the county jails who are under the age of 22.

Also who to contact to make that happen.

Thank you for your time.

CdwJava

Not sure if I am in the right forum but can someone please give me information on the law and the current class action suit regarding educating Special Education Students in the county jails who are under the age of 22.

Also who to contact to make that happen.

Thank you for your time.
The law does not care if a person is classified as "Special Ed," has an IEP, or has been diagnosed with ADHD. It does not matter.

If someone wants to argue that they are not guilty as a result of mental illness, that is a defense that can be raised by the defendant at trial.

If you are referring to a denial of education as opposed to arrests, there appears to be a case about denial of education and special education to inmates in jail in New York state:

http://www.legal-aid.org/en/lawreform/lawreform/prisonersrightsproject/activecases/education/handberryvthompson.aspx

There are also other lawsuits in other states concerning issues with regards to access to education programs. So, if you want a specific case, you might have to be a little more ... specific. Or, go on Google and start fishing.

Thank you very much. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific....:) My question was regarding denial of education while the person is in county jail.
Thanks again.

CdwJava

Thank you very much. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific....:) My question was regarding denial of education while the person is in county jail.
Thanks again.
I am not familiar with any such lawsuits in CA, but they might be county specific. You can try Google to see if any links of active suits pop up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">