• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue Businesses Who Don't Follow Handicap Rules?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shoutoutgen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
US

Do you have to be handicapped to sue people who don't follow the handicapped laws?
There are tons of places who don't follow handicap laws.

Proserpina

US

Do you have to be handicapped to sue people who don't follow the handicapped laws?

And which "handicap laws" would these be?

Which "tons of places" don't follow these "handicap rules"?

(Do you understand why I asked the questions?)

quincy

US

What is the name of your state, shoutoutgen?

Are your questions on the forum tonight connected to real life legal issues you are facing, or are you just asking the questions because you are a curious sort?

US

No, all you need is an ambulance chasing Attorney who's as lazy as the OP is greedy.
I doubt the OP cares a rats @ss about the handicap. The motivation here is money.
In Calif there are people who will sue you if you are even the slightest little little bit out of compliance.
They pray on small business who would rather settle out of court than deal with the expense it would take to bring their buildings up to code for such trivial things like a towel dispenser one inch too high or handicap parking needing to be repainted.
Granted there are issues that need to be addressed but in a lot of cases what they are doing is just a form of legal extortion

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And do you know for an absolute fact that these business are subject to the laws in question?

Do not make the mistake of assuming that all businesses are subject to all the laws to which you are probably referring. If you ask politely I'll provide a real life example.

quincy

US

shoutoutgen, following are two links that direct you to ADA laws, the first "A Guide to Disability Rights Laws" and the second to "ADA Enforcement" with cases from 2006 to the present.

http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

http://www.ada.gov/enforce_current.htm

You are correct that there are "tons of places who don't follow handicap laws" but, as cbg notes, not all businesses are subject to all of the laws.

Last edited:

shoutoutgen

No, all you need is an ambulance chasing Attorney who's as lazy as the OP is greedy.
I doubt the OP cares a rats @ss about the handicap. The motivation here is money.
In Calif there are people who will sue you if you are even the slightest little little bit out of compliance.
They pray on small business who would rather settle out of court than deal with the expense it would take to bring their buildings up to code for such trivial things like a towel dispenser one inch too high or handicap parking needing to be repainted.
Granted there are issues that need to be addressed but in a lot of cases what they are doing is just a form of legal extortion
Absolutely in California people sue you without compliance.
I've had many friends sued for the littlest reasons. The table isn't high enough. It's not far enough.
That is ridiculous.
If my friends get sued, we should be able to sue others. (In my defense for sue happy people)

Last edited:

Proserpina

Absolutely in California people sue you without compliance.
I've had many friends sued for the littlest reasons. The table isn't high enough. It's not far enough.
I think our government should be sued. That is ridiculous.
If my friends get sued, we should be able to sue others.
You're making absolutely no sense and, what's worse, you're actually ignoring the legal reality.

shoutoutgen

You're making absolutely no sense and, what's worse, you're actually ignoring the legal reality.
Let me give you an example, one of my friends was sued, because there isn't enough space between the handicapped table and regular table.

First think from a businesses perspective. If it's not a restaurant, and a sit in place, that is a lot of sqaure feet. So instead of 3 feet. It was 1. Now, this layout was done not by my friend, by the builder of the company.

Now, almost the next door neighbors of the businesses...dont even have a handicapped table.
It is a pizza restaurant. It's super small.

Proserpina

Let me give you an example, one of my friends was sued, because there isn't enough space between the handicapped table and regular table.

First think from a businesses perspective. If it's not a restaurant, and a sit in place, that is a lot of sqaure feet. So instead of 3 feet. It was 1. Now, this layout was done not by my friend, by the builder of the company.

Now, almost the next door neighbors of the businesses...dont even have a handicapped table.
So at best you're comparing a lump of dough to an artisan pizza. A super small pizza restaurant may have completely different requirements to its neighboring business. Do you realize that? Have you looked into which laws apply when and to where?

Silverplum

It has absolutely nothing to do with you. As for your friends, tell them "fair" is for preskool. If they have a legal problem, tell them to hire an attorney.

shoutoutgen

So at best you're comparing a lump of dough to an artisan pizza. A super small pizza restaurant may have completely different requirements to its neighboring business. Do you realize that? Have you looked into which laws apply when and to where?
Never looked into it, do you know where I can find those laws?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">