• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

surveillance camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joern

What is the name of your state? California

I was told by a homeowner's association lawyer this might be a civil liberties case.

My neighbor has surveillance cameras installed around his house. One of his cameras overlooks my backyard. He says this is legal, but I have my serious doubts. I believe this is an "invasion of privacy" issue. He did tell me that this camera is active, although I can't prove it. My wife feels very uncomfortable being in the backyard knowing that our neighbor may be watching (peeping). What can I do to get him to remove this camera? The local police say they cannot do anything about it because it is not a criminal issue.What is the name of your state?

Cctv

When I was heading security for a major retailer a similar issue came up. We were installing new CCTV. Of course we had cameras that were place (inside store) but could face exit. This if course was to film exit of shopliftiers (per CA Law one must exit store to be committing theft) The problem came up that new Apartment buildings were under contruction and that cameras would be able to zoom enough one "might" be able to peer into a window! We altered cameras position so this would not happen but it was an issue. I would think that privicy laws would prohibit viewing into a neighbors yard. Example was the recent pictures taken of Jennifer Aniston topless in her own backyard! I would file a complaint with homeowners assocaition to start and see where it goes from there.

BelizeBreeze

When I was heading security for a major retailer a similar issue came up. We were installing new CCTV. Of course we had cameras that were place (inside store) but could face exit. This if course was to film exit of shopliftiers (per CA Law one must exit store to be committing theft) The problem came up that new Apartment buildings were under contruction and that cameras would be able to zoom enough one "might" be able to peer into a window! We altered cameras position so this would not happen but it was an issue. I would think that privicy laws would prohibit viewing into a neighbors yard. Example was the recent pictures taken of Jennifer Aniston topless in her own backyard! I would file a complaint with homeowners assocaition to start and see where it goes from there.
The difference here is there is no expectation of privacy in a back yard. A fact I told this poster the FIRST time they posted this.

I am not disgreeing as there is a vast difference between a backyard and a window. How does this fit into the Aniston claim which she won? In that case high powered lens were used to film her topless in her own backyard!

JETX

What can I do to get him to remove this camera?
Simple answers:
1) Hire a local attorney to pursue injunctive relief from the neighbor forcing him to remove the camera, or
2) Simply build a screen or fence to block his view.

msiron

If there is a solid fence, like a 6' or 8' fence in place, you have expectation of privacy (if his camera is high up, and looking over the fence?) it is illegal. Otherwise you have no expectation of privacy and you won't get far with legal measures.

Note... Jennifer Aniston topless in her own backyard!

She had privacy walls, meaning EXPECTATION of privacy.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Joern said:
My neighbor has surveillance cameras installed around his house. One of his cameras overlooks my backyard.
Where is it mounted? Is it mounted in a place where the neighbors could generally see from a bedroom or other place on their property? Or, is it raised high on the roof or on a pole in order to look into your yard?

What can I do to get him to remove this camera? The local police say they cannot do anything about it because it is not a criminal issue.
You can approach the homeowners association to begin with. Perhaps erecting a taller fence or extending something higher might help. Though, I suppose it matters on where the camera is.

Maybe if you ask him real nicely to take the camera down or aim it elsewhere?

- Carl

Joern

surrveilance cameras

The camera is mounted on the eave of his roof, about 15 ft up.
The spraypaint suggestion is good, but that would be trespassing. I did ask him nicely to remove the camera, but he reufuses.

CdwJava

If it is video only, I'm at a loss to find anything that might specifically apply. There may be a section that applies, but I'm not too creative this early in the morning.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">