• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended from work while off the clock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mami6xs

My sister was suspended from work after being arrested in the parking lot of her job. Her and some coworkers went to eat after their shift ended. When she was on her way to drop them off at the parking lot of their job she was arrested as soon as she parked for some warrants. They followed her from the street they were not there waiting on her. She was told she cannot return to work until after her court date. Is this legal? She lives in Michigan.

Just Blue

My sister was suspended from work after being arrested in the parking lot of her job. Her and some coworkers went to eat after their shift ended. When she was on her way to drop them off at the parking lot of their job she was arrested as soon as she parked for some warrants. They followed her from the street they were not there waiting on her. She was told she cannot return to work until after her court date. Is this legal? She lives in Michigan.
Of course it is legal! Why on earth would you think it isn't??:confused:

And why did you post in the Civil Rights Forum??????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is. I don't know where so many people get the idea that you have to be on the clock before the employer is allowed to take any action.

Mami6xs

If I knew I wouldn't be asking. She was arrested because her now 18 year daughter missed too many days of school. It isn't for alcohol or drug use. She can't work for 3 weeks now and that's how she supports her children.

Silverplum

If I knew I wouldn't be asking. She was arrested because her now 18 year daughter missed too many days of school. It isn't for alcohol or drug use. She can't work for 3 weeks now and that's how she supports her children.
Doesn't matter.

Just Blue

Have the Legal Party sign up and post for herself. ;)

commentator

She needs to file immediately for unemployment insurance. While they can legally suspend her for any reason they want to, what they have suspended her for was NOT a valid job related misconduct . Therefore, she is out of work through no fault of her own, she would be going to work if she was allowed to, and the reason they've got her on suspension has nothing to do with work.

She would've gotten a claim started a lot sooner if she'd filed three weeks ago, thus income for her family, but she definitely needs to file a claim tomorrow. This may make the company want to call her back. But in any case, she has a very good chance of approval if she is monetarily eligible and out of work as you describe.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While they object to third party postings over in Family Law, for the most part I don't have a problem with it here in Employment Law. However, it this case it's really very simple; the employer can suspend her until after her court date because there isn't a law that says he can't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">