• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threats and police not helping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lauren.helping.

Hello, I'm posting for a friend in the state of Ohio, and in this case my friend has had some issues with his girlfriend's family. The girlfriend's mother (who isn't legally allowed within 100 feet of her daughter) is sending threats to my friend, he's shown me screen shots where the mother is threatening him. "He better have a good job and a hiding place..." "..I'm thinking of takimg a visit (to him and his family) smile biatches" another post was made on facebook from another friend or family member "anyone want to help me kill a certain someone" and a message to the girl "your ex boyfriend is now a dead man" in a period they had broken up, he's taken all but the first one to the cops in his area (Columbus) and they won't do anything. So I'm here asking what he should do either to motivate cops to handle the situation, or to handle these people threatening him legally. Is there certain section and article that he could bring to the police of Ohio law to show them he knows his rights and them not handling it is an Infringment of his rights? He just wants the threats to end and justice be served because it makes it very hard for him and the girl considering they have a baby on the way in 6 months and he wants things to stop so he can focus on catering to her and their baby, and I realize it could be asked, so he is 18, otherwise I would have posted in juvenile law, but could I get some advice to give him?

Lauren.helping.

Clarification

On the segment where I said that someone said he is a dead man the following remark was "if he doesn't die" reinforcing the idea that they did intend to kill him

Lauren.helping.

I told him to, but I figured two people working together would help more, also he's not... very intelligent so I thought I could word it better to make it easier to understand

CuriosObserver

DISCLAIMER *I am not an attorney, nor am I qualified to give in depth legal advice. This advice is only based on my personal experiences*

My advice to you would be to take as many pictures and videos as possible. Then after you've taken the pictures and the video, send the pictures and video to your local LEO. Make backups of the pictures and video first on a jump drive or a spare SD card, in case the video gets lost, or the LEO might know the aggressors.

From what I can see, Ohio is a one party consent state when it comes to videorecording, so from the looks of it, it's OK to record them while they're harassing you.

I hope your situation gets better. If you need any more advice, contact an attorney in your local area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">