• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to do the right thing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doublecheck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello,

I've recently been approached by a friend who was propositioned via text message by one of my co-workers. She is 19, he is 40 and engaged. I would like to know if there is anything illegal about sending the text log to the co-workers fiancee/family. There would be no demands or any harassing language included with the text log, simply a note stating that I felt they should know about it. My friend is scared of doing this, but I want to tell this scumbag's fiancee what's going on, and my friend has agreed to provide me with the evidence if I move forward. Besides the fact that this isn't really my business, are there any legal ramifications with my discreetly sending this information to the fiancee? I wouldn't think it could be called harassment or blackmail if I'm not demanding anything or publicly posting the information everywhere, but I figured I'd ask a few people first and see if they thought otherwise.

Proserpina

Hello,

I've recently been approached by a friend who was propositioned via text message by one of my co-workers. She is 19, he is 40 and engaged. I would like to know if there is anything illegal about sending the text log to the co-workers fiancee/family. There would be no demands or any harassing language included with the text log, simply a note stating that I felt they should know about it. My friend is scared of doing this, but I want to tell this scumbag's fiancee what's going on, and my friend has agreed to provide me with the evidence if I move forward. Besides the fact that this isn't really my business, are there any legal ramifications with my discreetly sending this information to the fiancee? I wouldn't think it could be called harassment or blackmail if I'm not demanding anything or publicly posting the information everywhere, but I figured I'd ask a few people first and see if they thought otherwise.

It's really NONE of your concern. Stay out of your friend's business. How do you know the fiancee wasn't fully aware? How do you know from whom the text actually originated?

doublecheck

For your information, I do know that she doesn't know because when she asked him if his fiancee knew about it he told her know. This is my co-worker we're talking about so I have his number and matched it to the texts, also I have the whole text log so I know exactly how it went down. With respect, I'm not looking for an editorial. I'm looking for possible legal ramifications. If you don't want to bother answering the question, please don't respond.

Proserpina

For your information, I do know that she doesn't know because when she asked him if his fiancee knew about it he told her know. This is my co-worker we're talking about so I have his number and matched it to the texts, also I have the whole text log so I know exactly how it went down. With respect, I'm not looking for an editorial. I'm looking for possible legal ramifications. If you don't want to bother answering the question, please don't respond.

It's STILL none of your business.

And you apparently have no understanding of how easy it is to spoof a number, and how difficult it would be to prove WHO sends a particular text message.

Have fun!

quincy

Hello,

I agree with both you and with Proserpina that this is NONE of your business.

The legal ramifications for you, should you decide to send this "evidence" on to others, could be a defamation claim filed against you by the 40-year-old, engaged coworker. The text message is of unknown origin unless or until you can PROVE it was sent by this coworker.

If you really want to help your friend, I strongly recommend that YOU stay out of this except to the extent that you could encourage your friend to ignore the text message received and not respond to it, and advise her to block all further messages, and, should she remain "scared," encourage her to report the text message to the police (not that anything will be done after the receipt of only one non-threatening text).

And, doublecheck, please quit being rude to the volunteers here. YOU are the one who came to FA for advice. We can choose to help a poster or not, depending on their attitude.

Last edited:

swalsh411

It's a bad idea even if not strictly illegal.

Unless your friend is mentally handicapped she is capable of handling her own issues. Your meddling might get her fired.

Oh, and you don't get to choose the kind of advice you receive.

CdwJava

While I concur that - if true - this guy is a lout. However, as mentioned, it is not at all difficult to spoof email addresses and phone numbers for texts, so it might not be the best idea for you to step in the middle of this. What I tell philanderers is if they wish to step out, do not expect me to cover for them or in any way conceal their actions from their significant other. But, while I will become preachy as heck, I will not go out of my way to meddle into someone else's business - especially when it is not absolutely clear what is happening.

This is between the girl and the guy if she chooses to call him out on the text. It is not for you to get involved. As you have been told, it would be best to stay out of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">