• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure of rights (if any)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MM1985

My former partner purchased a vehicle outright, and my name was put on the bill of sale because he cannot legally own property here, or he has to pay taxes (he's a resident of the Bahamas to avoid this). The vehicle is registered in my name, and I pay the insurance and maintenance fees. It's been over a year since our split, and now he is asking me to sell the vehicle for him, and to send him the money. I am wondering what rights I have, if any over the vehicle? I never signed anything stating that I would give it back, but I may have acknowledged in an email that it was in fact being borrowed. Thanks in advance!

Silverplum

My former partner purchased a vehicle outright, and my name was put on the bill of sale because he cannot legally own property here, or he has to pay taxes (he's a resident of the Bahamas to avoid this). The vehicle is registered in my name, and I pay the insurance and maintenance fees. It's been over a year since our split, and now he is asking me to sell the vehicle for him, and to send him the money. I am wondering what rights I have, if any over the vehicle? I never signed anything stating that I would give it back, but I may have acknowledged in an email that it was in fact being borrowed. Thanks in advance!
What's the name of your U.S. state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">