• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Recording in my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

runksix3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Can I video record a repairman in my house if I think he stole or did something in my house? Do I have to inform him I am recording? (If it goes to court). I'm talking audio and video.
Also this is a house I rent, and repairman works for the owner.

thank you

CdwJava

Audio is where you will have trouble. Video recording should not be a problem ... unless you also record in the bathroom.

runksix3

They are doing the repair in my bathroom, and only in there will I be recording, the bathroom will not be available during this time for use.

tranquility

We think he stolen an RX out my bathroom. 2 of them...

the dude looks like a real tweak
Wait a minute, I'm thinking of another solution....one minute.....almost there; why don't you move your drugs out of the bathroom during the work?

Info edit:
What Antigone* said, except with a bit more wry.

Antigone*

catching a thief in action is kind of important to some people... but I guess not all.
It is ridiculous to think that you would allow someone in your home who you think will steal from you. Even worse if they already have.

But hey, its your house.

Please tranq. Double the wry on mine. It has been that kind of day.

CdwJava

of course but i would also like to catch the ******* red handed...

nm this forum looks more like a refuse for ****s then a place for help...
You asked a question on the law and you got an answer. You also got a healthy dose of raised eyebrows ... that same sense of curiosity might also raise issues with the police and the DA. And if he is stealing meds from the bathroom, he could be stealing from elsewhere. You gonna wirwe the whole house?

If you want people who will pump their fists in the air and tell you to go get 'em, look elsewhere. If you want an answer to your legal query, you got it. None of us have to agree with your thought process.

cyjeff

You will find that most people prefer to prevent crime than to play vigilante. I lock my doors when not at home because I don't want my stuff stolen. Leaving the door open and setting up a camera to catch the thief still leaves me without my stuff.

Have you contacted the owner about your suspicions and asked for a different worker?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">