• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotaped without my consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teeninboston

What is the name of your state?
State where incident occured: Massachussetts.

While at college I began seeing someone and when the relationship progressively went sour I began seeing this individual less and less. I frequently stayed over at his house and had sex with him on numerous occasions.

On one such occasion he opened up a lap top computer before I arrived at his place (one of the ones with a camera hidden in the upper frame of the monitor), turned it on and began recording video. While I was there, we engaged sexual acts which were recorded without my knowledge or consent - I had no way of knowing that I was being recorded as the camera light was not on and his laptop was normally open at his residence. Shortly after the time the video was recorded I ended all contact with this individual and began in a new relationship with the person I am currently seeing.

A few weeks later, the ex-boyfriend began calling me and threatening to show the video to people at my school and my potential employers if I did not come and see him. He called (often numerous times a day) and text-messaged me threatening to destroy my reputation and share the tape with others if I did not comply with his requests.

Because the ex-boyfriend had a violatile temper and at one point held me in his home and refused to let me leave, I chose to not see him. He at one point contacted my current boyfriend and shared with him personal information regarding my sex life and tastes.

Several months have passed (including my summer vacation from college) without incidence. After I repeatedly requested that the ex-boyfriend stop contacting me and not show the video to the public, he complied.

Earlier this year when I returned to campus the boyfriend began contacting me again, asking me when I was going to come and see him (without making threats) and I have never replied. This morning he called me twice at a very early hour in the morning and I did not answer.

At 5:00 PM today, he sent me a text message threatening to show the video to the school, my friends and my employer, saying that he was going to defame my character. He also threatened that the video would follow me wherever I go because he was going to release the tape on the internet.

I also know that he has shown the video to at least two of his more recent girlfriends.

I contacted the ex-boyfriend today via instant messanger and told him that I did not want to be manipulated or live in fear that he will release the video. I asked him what I had done wrong and he said that he only wanted to see me "one more time". Because I fear being sexually assaulted or otherwise harmed, I will not be visiting him or making any effort to contact him. This was clear at the time and has been clear since the relationship ended.

I am just curious to know if this is against the law (recording me participating in a sexual act without my consent, using personal private materials as blackmail, stalking, making defaming threats, locating me on the internet or by phone without my consent, or actual releasing a video of me engaging in a sexual act to the public both without my consent and knowledge as well as as a tool to defame my character) and if there is anything I can do about it.

Thank you so very much for your time and any response would be most appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?
State where incident occured: Massachussetts.

While at college I began seeing someone and when the relationship progressively went sour I began seeing this individual less and less. I frequently stayed over at his house and had sex with him on numerous occasions.

On one such occasion he opened up a lap top computer before I arrived at his place (one of the ones with a camera hidden in the upper frame of the monitor), turned it on and began recording video. While I was there, we engaged sexual acts which were recorded without my knowledge or consent - I had no way of knowing that I was being recorded as the camera light was not on and his laptop was normally open at his residence. Shortly after the time the video was recorded I ended all contact with this individual and began in a new relationship with the person I am currently seeing.

A few weeks later, the ex-boyfriend began calling me and threatening to show the video to people at my school and my potential employers if I did not come and see him. He called (often numerous times a day) and text-messaged me threatening to destroy my reputation and share the tape with others if I did not comply with his requests.

Because the ex-boyfriend had a violatile temper and at one point held me in his home and refused to let me leave, I chose to not see him. He at one point contacted my current boyfriend and shared with him personal information regarding my sex life and tastes.

Several months have passed (including my summer vacation from college) without incidence. After I repeatedly requested that the ex-boyfriend stop contacting me and not show the video to the public, he complied.

Earlier this year when I returned to campus the boyfriend began contacting me again, asking me when I was going to come and see him (without making threats) and I have never replied. This morning he called me twice at a very early hour in the morning and I did not answer.

At 5:00 PM today, he sent me a text message threatening to show the video to the school, my friends and my employer, saying that he was going to defame my character. He also threatened that the video would follow me wherever I go because he was going to release the tape on the internet.

I also know that he has shown the video to at least two of his more recent girlfriends.

I contacted the ex-boyfriend today via instant messanger and told him that I did not want to be manipulated or live in fear that he will release the video. I asked him what I had done wrong and he said that he only wanted to see me "one more time". Because I fear being sexually assaulted or otherwise harmed, I will not be visiting him or making any effort to contact him. This was clear at the time and has been clear since the relationship ended.

I am just curious to know if this is against the law (recording me participating in a sexual act without my consent, using personal private materials as blackmail, stalking, making defaming threats, locating me on the internet or by phone without my consent, or actual releasing a video of me engaging in a sexual act to the public both without my consent and knowledge as well as as a tool to defame my character) and if there is anything I can do about it.

Thank you so very much for your time and any response would be most appreciated.What is the name of your state?
How old were you when the video was made?

If there was audio in the video he committed a crime. Blackmailing you is another. Take all e-mail, text and any other proof you have to your local police dept and file a complaint. This man has committed several felony's. He will be in DEEP DOODOO!;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How old were you when the video was made?

If there was audio in the video he committed a crime. Blackmailing you is another. Take all e-mail, text and any other proof you have to your local police dept and file a complaint. This man has committed several felony's. He will be in DEEP DOODOO!;)
IF she kept the text messages and other communications proving it.

If there was audio in the video he committed a crime. Blackmailing you is another. Take all e-mail, text and any other proof you have to your local police dept and file a complaint. This man has committed several felony's.
WOW I actually agree with BSG... NEVER thought that would happen...

TEENINBOSTON: Go to the police right away. Don't let this happen to other women that he will victimize if nothing is done now and he thinks he can get away with blackmail and extortion.

jennifer83

If you don't have the video/the statements made by him you are "sol". However tell a counselor at school. He could have done this to other girls and they could have told. Also have someone from your campus newspaper put a writeup asking any female on campus who was taped performing sexual acts/nude w/o consent to come forward to school officials anonomously or not.

Just Blue

If you don't have the video/the statements made by him you are "sol". However tell a counselor at school. He could have done this to other girls and they could have told. Also have someone from your campus newspaper put a writeup asking any female on campus who was taped performing sexual acts/nude w/o consent to come forward to school officials anonomously or not.
Did you bother reading the opening post before typing? Reread it and then post back and apologize to the OP for your bad advice.

jennifer83

Did you bother reading the opening post before typing? Reread it and then post back and apologize to the OP for your bad advice.
I did read it. She still has no proof if she doesn't have the tape. And being videotaped w/o consent is only illegal in a few states. Most states have no law against it. And can she prove it was w/o consent? I know a lot of people in college who let men tape them having sex then when something goes wrong the guy shows his buddies to make the girl mad and then she says it was w/o consent for fear ppl will think bad of them. I did give her good advice. She does need to see a counselor. And if it truly was w/o consent i feel bad for her.

CourtClerk

In all the years I spent in college, I never knew counselors got involved in such mess. Let's refer everyone to school administration without them knowing that you are referring them to administration... that's a good one too.

The OP needs her proof and a civil litigator. That ought to stop it.

Just Blue

I did read it. She still has no proof if she doesn't have the tape. And being videotaped w/o consent is only illegal in a few states. Most states have no law against it. And can she prove it was w/o consent? I know a lot of people in college who let men tape them having sex then when something goes wrong the guy shows his buddies to make the girl mad and then she says it was w/o consent for fear ppl will think bad of them. I did give her good advice. She does need to see a counselor. And if it truly was w/o consent i feel bad for her.
Reread it again. She has proof. Blackmail is against the law in every state in this Nation. If the tape had audio that is a violation of Massachusetts Wire Tapping Laws.

From the OP:

You have no idea what you are talking about with your so called advice. STOP POSTING on threads that are not yours.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

Reread it again. She has proof. Blackmail is against the law in every state in this Nation. If the tape had audio that is a violation of Massachusetts Wire Tapping Laws.

From the OP:

You have no idea what you are talking about with your so called advice. STOP POSTING on ALL OF THE THREADS.... it's giving me a headache.
Bay... do you have insomnia???

And may I correct something in your response? (see bolded)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">