• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of the ADA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I Live texas and I have had the prior documentation and appropriate evaluations to prove that I suffer from dysgraphia and ADHD. I went to my school Office of disability acommedation to give them the proper documentation to receive accommodations from the UNiversity which a public university(don't know if that helps) filed the paperwork for me to get the accommodations, one of which is notes in advance(teacher copies) for classroom notes by the teacher. I specifically gave a teacher a copy of my accommodation letter, of which she didn't even bother reading and she has also refused me accomendations based on on my disability. Is this a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I Live texas and I have had the prior documentation and appropriate evaluations to prove that I suffer from dysgraphia and ADHD. I went to my school Office of disability acommedation to give them the proper documentation to receive accommodations from the UNiversity which a public university(don't know if that helps) filed the paperwork for me to get the accommodations, one of which is notes in advance(teacher copies) for classroom notes by the teacher. I specifically gave a teacher a copy of my accommodation letter, of which she didn't even bother reading and she has also refused me accomendations based on on my disability. Is this a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act?

do you think posting again will change the answers?
You were given steps to take to attempt to remedy this issue. Have you taken any of them?

curious90

do you think posting again will change the answers?
You were given steps to take to attempt to remedy this issue. Have you taken any of them?
never posted about this. posted about obtaining a restraining order on sociopathic ex. posted about negligence on my old college, this is a new problem that has recently erupted with my current college, so i have no idea what your talking about.please answer the question.

OHRoadwarrior

They must only provide reasonable accommodations. The teachers notes, provided in advance are not likely to be considered that by any stretch of the imagination. You need to coordinate with the disability office to determine what accommodations might be appropriate to coordinate with staff. Then you need to work with staff.

Here are excerpts from the nonprofit group JED.org who's focus supporting disabled university students in the US.
See page 13
What are reasonable accommodations for a disability?
Reasonable accommodations are modifications to an IHE’s rules, policies, or practices that are designed to provide a student with a disability with an equal opportunity to meet academic and technical standards as defined above. IHEs are required to offer reasonable accommodations when requested by a student with a disability except when the student only meets the “regarded as” part of the disability definition (see page 12). To some extent, whether a specific accommodation is reasonable or not can depend on the circumstances.
What are unreasonable accommodations for a disability?
An IHE is not required to modify its rules, policies, or practices to the extent that these modifications would “fundamentally alter” the essential nature of its programs. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that an IHE need not compromise essential academic and technical requirements for any student. For example, an IHE is not required to make fundamental changes
to its core degree requirements. An accommodation is also considered to be unreasonable if it places an “undue burden” on the IHE, such as a significant difficulty or expense.
http://www.myacpa.org/comm/ccaps/docs/TJFLegalResource.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">