• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Civil Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Habears

Florida - Is it a violation of someone's civil rights if I am in public and using my cell phone to record what is happening around me or being said to me if I am in fear of my safety or they are trying to be combative with me while I am walking away?

kecochra

Florida - Is it a violation of someone's civil rights if I am in public and using my cell phone to record what is happening around me or being said to me if I am in fear of my safety or they are trying to be combative with me while I am walking away?
I'm not a Lawyer, so some of the other members would know better, but in AZ you can record a conversation that you are a part of legally. You should check on the Florida laws to see what the recording/wiretapping laws are. If someone else is attacking you for you're race, sex, etc. that is a violation of you're Civil Rights as long as you have proof you didn't :D instigate or provoke the other person first.

quincy

The answer to your question is "It depends."

Florida is a "two-party consent" state, which means all parties to a conversation must consent to the recording of a conversation to comply with the law (Florida Statute Chapter 934.03). You cannot record conversations to which you are not a party.

However, there are exceptions. When a conversation is held in a public place and the parties can have no reasonable expectation of privacy while conversing, it can be legal to record the conversation.

Facts matter, however. Did you want to provide some?

(kecochra, please only provide information applicable to a poster's home state - not your own - as to do otherwise can cause confusion. Thanks)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">