• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a violation of HIPPA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

princesskaela28

What is the name of your state? NY

My doctors office (office A) scheduled an appointment for me at another location(office B) for conference on special treatment through my pregnancy that can not be offered through office A. Office A was told numerous times that my pregnancy for the time being is completely confidential. When they scheduled the appointment with Office B, they failed to relay 1.) It was extremly confidential, 2.) my updated information. I have not been to Office B since i was a child, where the information they hold is outdated and of my parents phone and address.
Because Office A neglected to update my information, Office B left a message on my parents answering machine about my appointment (location, time, breif description) a location I have not occupied in over 3 years.
The father and I had a specific date that My parents would be informed about my pregnancy and now they have found out over an answering machine.
When i confronted Office A I had them view my chart to see if anyone had bothered to write how important confidentiality to this case was, even though with HIPPA i shouldn't have needed that extra step. They agreed the only contact information they had was of mine and the fathers, but nowhere could they find anything saying it was Confidential that only the Father and i knew. All nurse and staff that i had told never wrote it down.
What i feel is tricky about this is, Office A never released my information to anyone but Office B, and Office B released my information to the address and phone they respectfully had listed. It is in scheduling my appointment that Office A failed to updated my contact information, where i feel they are 100 percent responsible if they schedule the appointment. But is failure to update information to another office that will be contacting me in the near future a violation of HIPPA?What is the name of your state?

princesskaela28

yes, is it violation of HIPPA if information wasnt updated where it was supposed to be and my information was given to family at my old address

fairisfair

aren't YOU the one that failed to update your contact information? How are they supposed to know that you no longer live there?

princesskaela28

i agree, if i had made the appointment i would have updated the info, the office went ahead and made and appointment and i didn't know where they were making it until they contacted me.

mlane58

princesskaela28 said:
i agree, if i had made the appointment i would have updated the info, the office went ahead and made and appointment and i didn't know where they were making it until they contacted me.
OMG, get over it, a simple mistake was made which didn't release any medical information to anyone and now it seems you are looking to have a college fund setup for your child before its born. GEEZ!

seniorjudge

mlane58 said:
OMG, get over it, a simple mistake was made which didn't release any medical information to anyone and now it seems you are looking to have a college fund setup for your child before its born. GEEZ!

We need to start a HAVE I WON THE LAWSUIT LOTTERY? section on this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">