• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart Check Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CASANTONIO

What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA
I went to walmart over the weekend and spent about bought about 260.00 worth of merchandise. I attempted to pay by check and was told by the cashier that due to walmart's check policy - they would not honor the check. She stated that the check policy is that walmart cannot accept checks with a po box as an address? Why?? This policy is not written and they have there check policy posted right in front of the cashier. No where on the policy do they mention checks with a po box as an address. I wrote a check for about 240.00 at the same walmart in august and the head cashier - who was african american- accepted it with no problems. When I questioned this to the manager and the head cashier they rudely said 'well she shouldn't have - do you have cash to pay?" I did in fact have a debit card and used that after about 30 minutes of debate. Is this discrimination? What can I do about this? By the way, the check policy is dated 2004. My mailing address is my pobox, my cdl has my po box as the address and my business cards (i should all of this documentation to them) is my po box. please explain

cmorris

I seriously doubt this a "discrimination" case. Many stores do have policies (not necessarily posted) about this. The reasoning has to do with the possibility of a bad check. A PO Box doesn't tell you anything. I worked at a retail store and electronic store that had this policy. If a customer had a check w/ a PO Box, we had to get a DL or pic ID to get the street/physical address. If a customer didn't have ID or refused to cooperate, they could not purchase anything (using a check).

And just b/c there is a policy, it doesn't mean all employees follow it like they should.

racer72

Retailers can deny checks because they don't like the color. You don't have a case. Don't move to Washington state. Street addresses are required on all forms of state issued ID, no more P.O. boxes.

S

spingirlxoxo

i don't understand why she didn't except the check either maybe she was new and confused.i work at a walmart in oregon.we'll take anything just about.the only thing we have to do is write your driver's license number and phone number on the check if it's not on there.we do except po boxes,if the customer doesn't want to give out her phone number then we can't make them put it on there and we'll still except the check.

CdwJava

It may be a local policy. For instance, where I live and work, people are often passing bad checks. It's next to impossible to collect from a PO Box, so most the stores here require a physical address as well. I am not sure what our Wal-Mart requires, but I suspect they accept PO Boxes on the checks - though they do require some ID and they have to get approval on a lot of checks. It is our grocery stores that keep getting ripped off!

- Carl

B

barbmen1021

:eek: I am a Customer Service Manager with Walmart in Arkansas. The correct Policy is that if you have a PO box, we will request your physical address as per our instructions from the Prosecuting Attorney's office. If some one writes a bad check they need the physical address of the customer in order to locate that person to serve papers for collection of the bad check.

The cashier whose line you went through should have followed those guidelines. We only refuse to accept payment in check form when your license has triggered a red flag concerning your checking account.

Let me apologize for that store, but understand each store does have leaway to adjust their individual policies.

BelizeBreeze

And since there is no question in law as to 'company policy' and since the ONLY question asked is "Is this Discrimination?" who gives a damn whether or not it's Wal-Mart policy?

The Answer to the ONLY legal question asked is NO, this is not discrimination. It's called business.

CASANTONIO said:
What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA
I went to walmart over the weekend and spent about bought about 260.00 worth of merchandise. I attempted to pay by check and was told by the cashier that due to walmart's check policy - they would not honor the check. She stated that the check policy is that walmart cannot accept checks with a po box as an address? Why?? This policy is not written and they have there check policy posted right in front of the cashier. No where on the policy do they mention checks with a po box as an address. I wrote a check for about 240.00 at the same walmart in august and the head cashier - who was african american- accepted it with no problems. When I questioned this to the manager and the head cashier they rudely said 'well she shouldn't have - do you have cash to pay?" I did in fact have a debit card and used that after about 30 minutes of debate. Is this discrimination? What can I do about this? By the way, the check policy is dated 2004. My mailing address is my pobox, my cdl has my po box as the address and my business cards (i should all of this documentation to them) is my po box. please explain
what does her being african american have to do with anything?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">