• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights? How can I protect myself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clcp7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

A person left their spare car keys at my house two months ago and now demands I bring it back in person. Through the two months, I've contacted them via text letting them know it was left here. I do not live close to this person, so I offered to ship it to an address they provide with tracking. They will not provide an address and harassed me for the keys to be hand delivered right away and are being very hostile. I want them to either pick it up themselves, or have it mailed out. Am I legally responsible to return it? What can I do if they continue to harass me? Thanks in advance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

A person left their spare car keys at my house two months ago and now demands I bring it back in person. Through the two months, I've contacted them via text letting them know it was left here. I do not live close to this person, so I offered to ship it to an address they provide with tracking. They will not provide an address and harassed me for the keys to be hand delivered right away and are being very hostile. I want them to either pick it up themselves, or have it mailed out. Am I legally responsible to return it? What can I do if they continue to harass me? Thanks in advance
To where do they want you to hand deliver it?

LdiJ

Answer a question...

Did they just accidentally leave their spare keys at your house, or did you have the spare keys because they were letting you borrow their car?

clcp7

Answer a question...

Did they just accidentally leave their spare keys at your house, or did you have the spare keys because they were letting you borrow their car?
They left their car and spare here while on a week long trip to avoid parking fees at the airport. I didn't use their car as I have my own and had the spare out for them when they returned.

LdiJ

They left their car and spare here while on a week long trip to avoid parking fees at the airport. I didn't use their car as I have my own and had the spare out for them when they returned.
Ok, then you have absolutely no obligation to go out of your way to get their spare key back to them. If they forgot to take it that isn't your fault.

clcp7

Ok, then you have absolutely no obligation to go out of your way to get their spare key back to them. If they forgot to take it that isn't your fault.
Ok, thanks! I will still make available the option for them to get the keys, but I'm going to deny any requests to drive there considering how hostile they are. What do you suggest I do if they keep cursing at me to bring the keys?

clcp7

Have you tried google? Have you called the office to confirm the mailing address?
Good idea. I'll probably do that at last resort. I just want them to confirm its ok to send, and to make sure they still live there.

swalsh411

Tell them their options are to come get it themselves or you will mail it after they send you money for postage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">