• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the Ohio Law for Audio Recording Someone Without Their Knowledge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

worriedmom2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My question is similar, yet different, to the previous question asked. I didn't want to dominate his thread with my question, so I started a new one. My situation is this: My son is in first grade. He's told me that his teacher yells a lot and is sometimes mean (I'm often given examples of this). We've already been to the principal twice who's then "talked" with the teacher. After talking to a couple of other mothers who've heard/feel the same way, I also discovered that this same treatment has been going on for approx. 20 yrs. or more. I feel that the situation isn't going to change and I'd like to get proof. Is it legal in the state of Ohio to send a recording device in with him without the teacher's knowledge? It's my understanding that as long as one party is aware of it...do I tell my son to make it legal, or is this not legal at all because I'm a third party? I also read that it's legal in a public place where they would not have reasonable privacy..does a public school count as such? Thank you in advance for your response.

Silverplum

Homeschool Lil Precious. The "other mothers" will be glad to join you.

THAT'S the only way to make sure he is never yelled at or exposed to anyone unpleasant.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My question is similar, yet different, to the previous question asked. I didn't want to dominate his thread with my question, so I started a new one. My situation is this: My son is in first grade. He's told me that his teacher yells a lot and is sometimes mean (I'm often given examples of this). We've already been to the principal twice who's then "talked" with the teacher. After talking to a couple of other mothers who've heard/feel the same way, I also discovered that this same treatment has been going on for approx. 20 yrs. or more. I feel that the situation isn't going to change and I'd like to get proof. Is it legal in the state of Ohio to send a recording device in with him without the teacher's knowledge? It's my understanding that as long as one party is aware of it...do I tell my son to make it legal, or is this not legal at all because I'm a third party? I also read that it's legal in a public place where they would not have reasonable privacy..does a public school count as such? Thank you in advance for your response.

Just Blue

Does anyone else find it rather repugnant that this mother would have her SIX year old record not only the teacher but any other conversation that happens in the class?

BOR

Does anyone else find it rather repugnant that this mother would have her SIX year old record not only the teacher but any other conversation that happens in the class?
The actual state of the law is not always limited to practical application.

Hot Topic

My suspicion here is that the little darling has been causing some problems in class, the teacher has corrected little darling and little darling has run to mommy.

The statement that the OP has talked to a "couple" of other mothers who've "heard/feel the same way" is hardly a stunning indictment of the teacher. I note that no source is named for the claim that "this same treatment" has been going on for 20 years or more.

worriedmom2010

I'm not asking anyone to be judge and jury here. I simply asked what the law was. I didn't know the entire story was needed for me to find out the actual law and where it stands. Hot Topic, NO, your suspicion is DEAD wrong. My son is very shy and one of the most sweetest kids you would ever meet. If you must know...it took me a long time to finally get him to talk to me about what was going on in class. He had trouble getting to sleep at night...was near midnight EVERY school night. The fact that I found out this has been going on for 20 years or more...I've talked to a few people that have either had this teacher or heard the "talk" around the school about her in the past. But does any of this matter when it all comes down to what the law is? It's not a situation of a bratty kid...nor does it matter if it HAS been going on (other than to all the poor kids that have had to deal with a low self esteem afterwards) for 20 years...what matters is the legal standpoint.

BOR, bobbybats, and Silverplum..thank you for your replies. I appreciate an answer without being judged first.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, so you record the teacher being mean to your kid and you take the recording to the principal. The school district has apparently been just fine with the way the teacher is behaving for the last 20 years. What action do you expect them to take? Do you really think a tape recording is going to cause them to take any action against a teacher who, after 20 years, is almost certainly tenured?

DAD10

Its creepy and abnormal to put that burden on a child.
Try communicating your issues/concerns with school admin. directly.

bobbybats

no? what kind of intimate conversations you think its going to capture in a SIX year old's class room ?

maybe the kid wants to prove the teacher really is being out of line, why not listen to a few of her days of teaching to find out whats really being said

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbybats

exactly what kind of intimate conversations you think SIX year olds are having in class ?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
looks to me your in the clear for your son to record what the teacher is saying :)... as it should be
Actually you are completely wrong per the law. A child cannot consent to recording. A school is NOT a public place for purposes of tape recording as there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Also all of the other children would also have to give consent because if the teacher is NOT involved in DIRECT conversation with OP's child (even if the child did consent) then that is an illegal recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">