• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what. You can't punish me twice for the same crime.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bor2Amen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas.
I was denied a Concealed Carry Permit for the most ridiculous and legally questionable reasons I have ever heard. Their decision simply feels unconstitutional, illegal and even discriminatory. It certainly smells of corruption.
I was denied the Concealed Carry permit because of two, misdemeanor charges for Possession of Marijuana. One of which the state of Kansas now says, is a felony. Here’s what really burns me up… These are misdemeanor charges from Baltimore, Maryland, not Kansas and furthermore, they are charges from 30 plus years ago. As of July 1, 2014, Kansas declared me a felon based on one of these 2 possession charges because of some new law.
I’ve never committed any felonies. I do have a few legal infractions from my youthful days, none of which are felonies, all of which are stupid misdemeanor stuff I did while I was drunk. Neither of these charges involved more than the amount you can roll into a joint.
I did my probation and urine tests, paid my fines, and jumped through the sundry hoops to satisfy the terms of my sentence(s). Doesn't the law say that these charges could no longer be held against me. Doesn't the Constitution say I can’t be punished twice for the same crime(s).
There’s certainly a hint of discrimination here as well. After all I am a big scary Viet Nam era Veteran with PTSD, and alcoholism. And according to Kansas now a felon. Seems to be a sneaky way to disarm citizens too.

FlyingRon

First off, there's no restriction on PUNISHING YOU twice, just not trying you twice.

The laws restricting gun ownership based on past criminal activity has been consistently upheld.
Even laws restricting gun ownership enacted after past criminal activity have been upheld as not falling under the ex post facto clause.

single317dad

If you rob a liquor store, you can't vote any more. It's the same concept.

If your charges truly were minor marijuana offenses, as you claim, then maybe relocation to a pot-friendly state or a governor's pardon might be worth pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">