• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of Building for Agent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was wondering if there was a quick way to find the age of a building. I understand quick is relative, so really any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was wondering if there was a quick way to find the age of a building. I understand quick is relative, so really any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff
**A: search the real property tax or building permit records.

nextwife

Some communities will NOT have the sq footage or age on the records.

One can approximate age through observing construction style and character. For example a brick basement vs. a concrete block basement vs a poured concrete foundation. Eight inch oak mop-boards, lathe and plaster construction, built in oak buffets, leaded and stained glass, solid oak interior doors etc in a 50,000 home limits when it may have been built. If the home has an octopus furnace, it's age is also narrowed. Same if there exists a coal room. If the "garage" has a loft for hay (I've seen several such garages right on the alley in some central city neighborhoods), you can betcha it was there before autos were common.

All these sorts of features are clues to the period in which the home was built.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">