• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bringing a child to work with you....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeeDeeWeather

Pennsylvania.

In a homeowners community association that has insurance through a company that insures such entities....isn't it a BAD idea to allow an independent contractor (and a paid employee as well, for that matter) - to bring his/her child to work with them? The BOD told me that we have insurance and the contractor has insurance - but I maintain that it is an increased exposure that we just don't need. Do you insurance professionals agree?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How old is the child? How mature is the child? What is the nature of the work the IC is doing? Is it, by any chance, Bring Your Child To Work Day (yes, there is such a thing - I think it's in April). Can the child be given something to do that would make him or her feel important (sorting, alphabetizing, date stamping)? Is the child able to keep him or herself occupied?

As you can see, there are a number of factors to be considered. I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all answer.

CraigFL

I discourage this with my employees. We have a repair business and there is a lot of equipment out that could be dangerous to an inquisitive child that does not have the comprehension as to what they are doing. Even if you are insured like I am, it is still an unknown risk because the child/parent could sue you if they are injured beyond your insurance policy limits. This is the same reason I don't allow any non employees back in our shop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">