• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CGL damaged property question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roagan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello.

A contractor I hired to do renovation work botched the installation of a marble tile floor in my master bath room and shower. The floor has waves and pointy ends and is poorly grouted. The shower floor doesn't slope toward the central drain but rather collects water in the corners about 1.5 inches deep. I supplied the marble--approx. $2,200 value purchased independently. To re-do the bath will require removing and destroying my expensive marble. I believe I have a good case against him but doubt I would collect much. I'm hopeful I have a case which his Commercial General Liability policy would cover.
QUESTION: Could expensive marble tiles rendered worthless by shoddy workmanship be considered damaged property covered by a CGL policy where the insured didn't actually break anything, but rather necessitated their destruction through poor workmanship? I'd love it if the policy covered this. I'm in Texas.

Thank you very much for your informed opinion.

Labtec600

The CGL policy will not cover this as "your work" is an exlusion . Basicly the insurance policy is not a Guarantee.

This is not to say he is not liable and responsible for this but if you file a claim against his insurance they will deny.

Oops - just noticed this was over a year old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">