• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against Public Storage and Willis Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvthomas

I am currently storing some of my furniture at a Public Storage facility. I opted to get insurance just in case something happened. The insurance they offer is through a company called Willis. It is a third party company, separate from Public Storage. In the Fall of 2008 I visited my unit, and noticed a leak from the fire sprinkler. There was water all over the ground. My TV was sitting in an inch or 2 of water, and there was water on the top of my TV. My mattress was completely soaked, and there was a large rust stain on the side, approximately 4 inches in diameter. There was also a rust stain on the bottom of my sofa bed, which was stacked on top of my other sofa, and I could feel that the sofa was also soaking wet. I contacted the insurance company. They sent me a letter telling me how to send in the receipts and photos. I mailed all of my receipts and emailed my photos, and I never heard from them after that. Apparently, this Willis Insurance company doesn’t send claim adjusters, they just go off of the pictures. You can clearly see that damage was done from the photos; however, to get a real idea of what has happened, someone really needs to come and see it. It is hard to take pictures that shows the full damage considering, my unit has no windows or light, and you can take a picture of a sofa, and prove that it is wet. I recently revisited my unit, only to fine that the rust stains have turned into a thick red sludge. It’s been 5 months, and nothing has been resolved. I’m paying on a unit with damaged furniture (approximately $1240.00 since the damaged) with no hopes of being reimbursed for the furniture or the rent. Public Storage did offer me a new unit; however, I would have to pay for the movers to move my belongings from one unit to the other (approximately $400 for San Francisco), and I don’t have the money. Neither Public Storage nor Willis said that they could reimburse me for the move. I have spoken to the manager of Public Storage. She has seen the damage and so has an associate of hers, who has offered to take photos. What do I do now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">