• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the employee liable for damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

workinghard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? utah
I work for a sub-contracting cable company in Utah. Recently while on a job at a customer's home, I had an incident when replacing a cable line that was in laundry room. When I was pulling the old cable line, it pulled on their washing machine hose, which then leaked water on the ground. While at the time, it didn't appear there was damage, the customer called the next day and said the hardwood floors were warped because of this. My employer agreed to replace the floors, but now is telling me I am fully responsible for the 1400.00 damages. I cannot foot this bill. Is their any labor law that says that the employer needs to carry any insurance for incidents like this, and if so, does it protect me in any way? My employer says they do have insurance but do not want to file a claim, is that legal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">