• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equine Law Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IndianaSlew

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My fiance has decided that he would like to have his daughter involved with horses, I currently own a horse that I don't mind letting her ride. If she was to be injured due to the inherent risks of equine activities, such as falling off a horse etc, would her mother be able to seek damages from me. If so, should her father sign a release of liability and if only he signs it because they have joint legal custody, will it protect me from legal actions from her?

Thank you

seniorjudge

A lot of states have statutes protecting providers of equine services; check with a lawyer to see if your state does (or check with your association if you are a member of AQHA or ApHC or whatever).

BUT that won't keep you from getting sued.

Make sure you have tons of liability insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">