• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Liability??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

genivieve

What is the name of your state? NY

My attorney is on vacation and this question is killing me.
I owned a moving company. All the insurance policies were listed in my name. In 2002 I decided to give my boyfriend the business. I had to change over several policies from my name to his. Four policies were with one agent and the general liability was with another. So I called the agent with the general liability and asked her to close my policy and start up a new one with my boyfriend's name. She spoke to my boyfriend took some information and had him fax over a copy of his drivers license. No problems, he had a certificate of insurance within a week.

Well for the last couple of years the bills were coming in my name but the certificates in his. I called a couple of times asking why and was told it was probably a paperwork error and not to worry about. After that I did not pay too much attention to the billing error since I do have around 26 insurance policies for two other businesses.

Well an audit came around and my boyfriend filled out the paperwork stating he is 100% the owner of the business --- which he is. The policy came back with a increase that doubled. So he calls and questions this. They refused to talk to him stating he is not the policy holder. They stated that I was and that he was now listed as an employee, even though it he clearly stated that this his now his business and could show proof of the transfer.

So I call the insurance agency and ask them what the hell is going on. Their commercial writer was fired and said she made an error. Then the second commercial writer who just wrote another cerificate of insurance in my boyfriends name two months ago was also fired. I would have to pay the rest of the increase, cancel the policy and start a new one in my boyfriend name.

I have several certificates of insurance papers issued by the agent with only my boyfriend name on it. Can they be held liable? Can I make a complaint to a insurance board or something?

genivieve said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My attorney is on vacation and this question is killing me.
I owned a moving company. All the insurance policies were listed in my name. In 2002 I decided to give my boyfriend the business. I had to change over several policies from my name to his. Four policies were with one agent and the general liability was with another. So I called the agent with the general liability and asked her to close my policy and start up a new one with my boyfriend's name. She spoke to my boyfriend took some information and had him fax over a copy of his drivers license. No problems, he had a certificate of insurance within a week.

Well for the last couple of years the bills were coming in my name but the certificates in his. I called a couple of times asking why and was told it was probably a paperwork error and not to worry about. After that I did not pay too much attention to the billing error since I do have around 26 insurance policies for two other businesses.

Well an audit came around and my boyfriend filled out the paperwork stating he is 100% the owner of the business --- which he is. The policy came back with a increase that doubled. So he calls and questions this. They refused to talk to him stating he is not the policy holder. They stated that I was and that he was now listed as an employee, even though it he clearly stated that this his now his business and could show proof of the transfer.

So I call the insurance agency and ask them what the hell is going on. Their commercial writer was fired and said she made an error. Then the second commercial writer who just wrote another cerificate of insurance in my boyfriends name two months ago was also fired. I would have to pay the rest of the increase, cancel the policy and start a new one in my boyfriend name.

I have several certificates of insurance papers issued by the agent with only my boyfriend name on it. Can they be held liable? Can I make a complaint to a insurance board or something?
Call the agency back and ask for the name of their Errors & Omissions carrier. While you're at it, tell them you are going to write a letter of complaint to your state insurance commissioner.

In the future, if you make a change (endorsement) to your policy through your agent, demand a copy of it in writing. Don't just take their word that everything is taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">