• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DTA

What is the name of your state? MN

Last summer the city I live in upgraded the water and sewer in my neighborhood. The company that they hired to do this came in took out all the old blacktop and also dug out 3 feet below the blacktop. In the process of doing that they cut my main power cable coming into my house. This happened on a Thursday morning about 9am. I went out and talked to the guys that cut it and they told me they already called the power company and that it would be fixed soon. That nite I went to a cheap motel in my town to sleep. About 5am I wokeup and it was raining very hard and i thought to myself "Oh ****!!! My sump pump wont run without power." So I get up and drive home (2 minutes away) to find 3 to 5 inches of water in my basement. I run to my parents house get there generator so I can pump the water out. My basement is all finished off and I had many things sitting on the floor. needless to say I spent the next 10 days cleaning out my basement. To top it all off, after then 2nd day with no power, I called the power company and asked when they were coming out and they said that it was never reported to them. Finally on Sunday afternoon, my power was restored. From Thursday morning to Sunday afternoon with no power. The temp was over 90 everyday. All my food in my freezer was bad. ($200 worth of beef alone)
They send an adjuster out here and we go through all the stuff that was damaged. All my files containing bills, bank statements income tax returns, receipts and every important piece of paper I have were in the water in the water. most were unreadable. he tells me that I can throw it away cause they cant put a value on paper. So I threw it away. KNOW they wont pay for any of my things unless i show them receipts. First of all, I don't have a lot of the receipts and the ones I did have he told me were worthless and to throw them away.
After about 2 months I get a check from the insurance company for $3085.58.
Thats not even close to what I lost in this deal. I have not cashed the check yet and don't plan on cashing it until this gets work out.

What should i do?

DTA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">