• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marine insurance wont pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wetbar

Hey im in North Carolina and have a yacht down at the beach. The boat sank about 6 months ago. The insurance is saying it is normal wear and tear of the packing gland, even though they have been replaced yearly for the last few years. I have letters from severial boat yards saying they dont need to be replaced but once every five or so years. I have called 3 or so attorneys and they say I have a strong case but want 10 -30 grand to take the case. I need to sue ACE insurance company but dont know how to draw up the paper work. Is there a templet I can down load for this? I have been to the court house, but they just tell me to call a attorney. Thanks for any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hey im in North Carolina and have a yacht down at the beach. The boat sank about 6 months ago. The insurance is saying it is normal wear and tear of the packing gland, even though they have been replaced yearly for the last few years. I have letters from severial boat yards saying they dont need to be replaced but once every five or so years. I have called 3 or so attorneys and they say I have a strong case but want 10 -30 grand to take the case. I need to sue ACE insurance company but dont know how to draw up the paper work. Is there a templet I can down load for this? I have been to the court house, but they just tell me to call a attorney. Thanks for any help.
Why did you replace the item yearly if it only requires replacement every 5 years (as stated by several boat yards)?

wetbar

I was going to sue them for the total cost of replacemt 50,000.00, but I now know my policy is a cash value policy, so I will win about 37,000.00. ( the value of the boat)

I changed the packing everytime I pull the boat out of the water. Since they are so easy to do out of water, I dont want to take a chance in water. Also when I have the props and shaft worked on, the cant get the shafts back in with out replacing the packing. So everytime I service the shaft they get replaced.

Last edited:

rowz

If you do not know how to fill out the forms then it sounds like you do not know what you do not know.

Knowing that, it really sounds like you need to hire the people that DO know what you do not.

Besides a lawyer, that would be a marine surveyor or perhaps a private adjuster who handles marine claims. I would expect that their consultation would be cheaper [initially] and you would then find out how the case looks.

Good luck

For a 50K case potential it certainly DOES NOT soundn ike a do it yourself project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">