• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some information please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrpetie

Hi, I live in Ohio and this is pertaining to Equine laws of abandonment and or neglect. This is pertaining to schooling facility as apposed to a boarding facility. The owner of said facility does not generally board horses unless the owners are students getting training/lessons. She does not have any boarding contracts, but does keep records of all payments and horse owner information. She provides food, water, shelter ( private stalls) and turnout at all times for all horses on the premisis, and does charge a monthly fee to do so. There is a horse that has not had it's owner pay board in 4 months now, and it has been 6 months since anyone has seen the owner of said horse. Since the facility is not responsible for any vet or farrierr care ( which the horse has had neither in this amount of time ), said horse has had no care given except food, water, turn out , and the student all pitch in on a regular basis to groom and give attention to him. The owner of the facility has made several attempts to contact and collect the debt and the owner of the horse has yet to respond. Is this considered abandonment or neglect? If so, what legal recourse does the owner of the facility have, since there is no contract or written agreement, just a verbal one? Can she put a lein on the horse or can she sell the horse to somone who will properly care for it? I know that in Ohio it is required to put an add in the local paper for public auction and you must send a notice to the owner of the horse, but there is already an intrested party that wants to aquire this horse and they will be able to pay the fees owed and maintain said horse. I hope I have given you enough details. If not, then please let me know what other information you may need and i will happily provide it. Thank you for your time and help in this matter.

ecmst12

I think the owner of the facility most definitely needs to consult a local attorney before considering selling the horse. She may have the legal right to do so, but there are probably several hoops she needs to jump through first. In the interest of CYA, she should consult a pro.

I don't think "Commercial insurance lines" is the correct forum for this topic, but whatever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">