• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public storage insurance issue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fabregas

What is the name of your state?In november of 2004 I moved to NY from houston Tx.My friend and I placed some of our property (TV,Ps2,VCR,furniture,shoes,clothes etc) in a public storage facility under my name. The public storage manager advised us to insure our property as they were not responsible for any loss or damage, which we did for an extra $7 a month (up to $2000). In december 04 I recieved a letter from the storage company informing me that my facility may have been broken into. I could not do anything as my friend and I were both in NY. In june 2005 my friend went back to houston and checked out the place. The unit had been re-locked (after the break in) by the manager, who opened for my friend. My friend discovered the TV, PS2 + games, VCR missing and called the police. ***note that the manager said a total of 8 units were broken into at the time, and that they check every day to make sure all units are locked***. I obtained the police report and filed a claim. They denied my claim on the technicality that I needed to show forceful entry by presenting the broken lock. The manager who discovered the break in said he did not find any of the broken locks as the thieves must have taken them.
The police report lists the lock as one of the stolen items which totals around $800. How can they ask me to produce that which was stolen. Any advice is welcomed. I really do not want to hire an attorney and sue them. I would rather write them a detailed letter re-explaining the situation and my intention to instigate legal action. Thanks a lot.

drusmom

Question about the storage company

Was this Public Storage, who uses Sedgwick CMS for their insurance? I am having an issue with this company and am trying to find others who have gone through it to find out if it was ever resolved.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">