• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Robbed in Supermarket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happy_2_B_Me

What is the name of your state? California.

Hi,

I was shopping in a major supermarket chain a couple of weeks ago when my purse was taken from me by a thief who is now in jail as there were many, many witnesses to my screaming and chasing him outside.

My question: Can I file a claim against the store's insurance for the loss of my purse and its contents? the mileage and fees associated with replacing all necessary identification, i.e. DMV, etc.? If so, how do I begin this process? (I did receive a phone call from the state manager of the store expressing his concern--he seemed very kind).

My major financial loss is my digital camera which was in my purse. I did check out my AAA homeowners policy and I believe they will cover it, (I think), but the deductible and resultant increased premium negates that option for me.

Thank you in advance.

You Are Guilty

Happy_2_B_Me said:
What is the name of your state? California.

Hi,

I was shopping in a major supermarket chain a couple of weeks ago when my purse was taken from me by a thief who is now in jail as there were many, many witnesses to my screaming and chasing him outside.

My question: Can I file a claim against the store's insurance for the loss of my purse and its contents? the mileage and fees associated with replacing all necessary identification, i.e. DMV, etc.? If so, how do I begin this process? (I did receive a phone call from the state manager of the store expressing his concern--he seemed very kind).

My major financial loss is my digital camera which was in my purse. I did check out my AAA homeowners policy and I believe they will cover it, (I think), but the deductible and resultant increased premium negates that option for me.

Thank you in advance.
My Questions:

1 - What does this have to do with Commercial Insurance Lines?
1a- Do you know what "commercial insurance lines" are?

2 - Was the person who stole your purse a store employee?
(I'm sure someone else will be by to explain why even if the thief was an employee it won't matter vis a vis the store's insurance; I'm just curious).

3 - If not, why do you believe the store (or its insurance) should be paying you anything?

4 - Have you considered trying to sue the person actually responsible for stealing your purse?

George Dekker

(CALIFORNIA)

I know of a really good insurance coverage lawyer in Redwood City who got my homeowner policy to pick up a big loss that two other lawyers told me was excluded in my policy. David Del Buono - he practices at the Branson firm.

He would be a good one for you to talk to.

GD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">