• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Bus Contractors Workers Compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erpunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My girlfriend is a van contractor for the local school district. She only has one van and transports children to and from school in her van. She doesn't have any employees. The school district contracts numerous people who only have one van or school bus and don't have other employees. There are, however, larger companies that the school district contracts who hire people to drive their vans and busses.

The question I have is about the workers compensation law. The school district now requires all van contractors to purchase workers compensation insurance. I can understand the school district requiring contractors who have employees purchase workers compensation insurance but if the contractor is only one person and is not an S corp, does the law still require them to purcase this insurance?

I have attached what I believe is the most recent Workers' Comp Act in Pennsylvania but I can't find anything in there that addresses this issue.

Sophistry

I believe WC insurance is mandatory after you exceed X amount of employees. In other words, mom and pops don't need to buy it.

I'd call the state department that deals with work comp and just ask them...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">