• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third party claim handling guidelines and regs vs. first party ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom6399

State of Georgia.

I am researching a complicated situation and trying to determine how to move forward. Any guidance will be appreciated.

My home was damaged as a result of a city project. The city required the contractor to hold insurance to cover any claims as a result of the project. This same company has done similar projects in the area that resulted in millions of dollars of damages to homes and property of city residents�not due to any negligence�but a result of basic physics.

Several meetings with the city and the contractor were conducted prior to the start of the project telling residents what to 'document' prior to the start of the project.

Nearly a year later neither I, nor any of the other claimants, have received any kind of settlement offer. We were all required to submit our claims including before and after photos and two estimates to legitimize our damages to the city. They then 'denied' claims and pushed the claims the contractor. The contractor (multi-million $$ international company) refused to cooperate and the city ultimately filed the claims for citizens several months after initial complaints were submitted. A few months later we were contacted by individual representatives from an insurance company-but then about 2 weeks later were told by those representatives that the claims were being handled directly by the company's legal team.

At this point, I'm not sure if my claim is being handled by an insurance company or not. My (as well as others) claim has acknowledged, but no adjuster ever contacted any of us. An 'engineer' walked through my home as well as several others, but not a word since.

My big questions are:

Can the contractors legal team 'pull' the claims from the insurance company?
How close are the guidelines and regs for 3rd party claims to first party claims? Particularly in terms of timeliness? From what I have found Georgia does have specific time periods for first party claims but I can't find anything for third party claims.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">