• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trash truck hits power pole now I have damage and no one is claiming responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jks_327

What is the name of your state? Texas

About 2 weeks ago a trash truck was emptying the dumpster from some apartments that faces my backyard. There is a utility pole in the corner of my backyard. The driver of the truck got caught up in the utility cables and snapped the transformer off the top of the pole. My power lines as well as phone lines & cable lines came down in my yard. My house suffered a major power hit as a result of this. I was home I called 911 fires were starting in my yard from the live electrical wires being down. My bathroom almost caught fire it filled with smoke and scorched my wall and fried my outlets. In addition there was a loud bang and flash that came from the closet in my hall where my air conditiong unit is. After all the comotion of the firemen they checked my house repeatedly for hot wires said I needed to have an electrician come out and check the wiring due to the damage of the power surge. The fireman informed me what had happened I was unaware what had caused it, he told me that he had told the person from the trash co that I have suffered damage but no one ever came out. I went and got a copy of the 911 report and called the company. To my amazement the company told me they were not responsible!!! I am like what do you mean your co is not responsible it was your employee who did it! Now I am not sure if my house is even safe electrically I have no airconditioning nor can I cook it took out my microwave and stove as well as some other small appliances I have no electric in my bathroom. I am being told I need to get an electrician!! This is insane! Does this company not have a responsibility to fix these things in my house! I cannot keep staying in my house for fear of possible electrical issues and the fact that it is summer I am in Texas and the temperatures are 100 degrees plus! I am a heart patient and I am starting to get sick staying in this heat. If anyone can give me some advice about where I can go from here in getting this company to making things right I would greatly appreciate it. I keep running into brick walls it seems. Thanks in advance for any info.

rmet4nzkx

jks_327 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

About 2 weeks ago a trash truck was emptying the dumpster from some apartments that faces my backyard. There is a utility pole in the corner of my backyard. The driver of the truck got caught up in the utility cables and snapped the transformer off the top of the pole. My power lines as well as phone lines & cable lines came down in my yard. My house suffered a major power hit as a result of this. I was home I called 911 fires were starting in my yard from the live electrical wires being down. My bathroom almost caught fire it filled with smoke and scorched my wall and fried my outlets. In addition there was a loud bang and flash that came from the closet in my hall where my air conditiong unit is. After all the comotion of the firemen they checked my house repeatedly for hot wires said I needed to have an electrician come out and check the wiring due to the damage of the power surge. The fireman informed me what had happened I was unaware what had caused it, he told me that he had told the person from the trash co that I have suffered damage but no one ever came out. I went and got a copy of the 911 report and called the company. To my amazement the company told me they were not responsible!!! I am like what do you mean your co is not responsible it was your employee who did it! Now I am not sure if my house is even safe electrically I have no airconditioning nor can I cook it took out my microwave and stove as well as some other small appliances I have no electric in my bathroom. I am being told I need to get an electrician!! This is insane! Does this company not have a responsibility to fix these things in my house! I cannot keep staying in my house for fear of possible electrical issues and the fact that it is summer I am in Texas and the temperatures are 100 degrees plus! I am a heart patient and I am starting to get sick staying in this heat. If anyone can give me some advice about where I can go from here in getting this company to making things right I would greatly appreciate it. I keep running into brick walls it seems. Thanks in advance for any info.
Contact both the electric and telephone company, no doubt they will be taking action against the garbage company. The electric company can inspect your house and also refer you to assistance for medical conditions.

racer72

Is the garbage company a municipally owned company or a private company? That will make a big difference if they can be held liable. Do you have homeowners insurance? That should be your first point of contact.

jks_327

The trash comapny is a privately owned co but has the contract with the city. That company picks up trash for the entire city. The house I live in is considered a rental property my mom is the owner I pay her rent she already checked with the insurance co and they said that it is not covered due to it being considered a power surge. Thank You for responding.

HankJS

Didn't the owner of the building have any insurance? I can't imagine property insurance not covering electric problems. That would be like having flood insurance that doesn't cover water damage. Forget the power company, they're never responsible in cases like this, unless the installation was faulty, and after the fact, that would be hard to prove. The property insurance underwriters will more than likely figure it out and go after the trash haulers.

HankJS

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">