• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's Liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristen99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
In July My car got repossessed, while at the tow yard my wedding ring was stollen out of my car. The owner of the tow yard looked at his video feed and saw his employee take the ring from my car. My ring has still not been recovered and bank is telling us that we can't do anything because when the car was towed the bank legally had ownership of my car. Who is legally liable for my rings replacement the Employee the tow yard or the bank?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
In July My car got repossessed, while at the tow yard my wedding ring was stollen out of my car. The owner of the tow yard looked at his video feed and saw his employee take the ring from my car. My ring has still not been recovered and bank is telling us that we can't do anything because when the car was towed the bank legally had ownership of my car. Who is legally liable for my rings replacement the Employee the tow yard or the bank?
I'll take Door #4 and say OP (aka you, yourself). :cool:

Proserpina

One quick question. Well, two actually.

1. What exactly did the video show?

2. Was there a police report?

And why haven't you acted until now?

Kristen99

One quick question. Well, two actually.

1. What exactly did the video show?

2. Was there a police report?

And why haven't you acted until now?
The video showed the employee taking a ring from my car and putting it in his pocket and upon further investigation the owner discovered that employee has been doing that for a while. There is a police report. We have been gong back and forth with the bank and the tow yard since July the bank is telling us they have to take the employee to court since they had possession of my car at that time and the tow yard owner does not want to take responsibility for his employee

quincy

The video showed the employee taking a ring from my car and putting it in his pocket and upon further investigation the owner discovered that employee has been doing that for a while. There is a police report. We have been gong back and forth with the bank and the tow yard since July the bank is telling us they have to take the employee to court since they had possession of my car at that time and the tow yard owner does not want to take responsibility for his employee
Your ring was insured, wasn't it? Report the theft to your insurance company.

justalayman

the person that took the ring is liable for your loss. If this video shows as much as you claim it does, the person to seek compensation from is that employee. I have no idea what the bank is talking about. Whether you still had ownership of the car (which you likely did anyway) or not is irrelevant. The bank does not have a right to ownership of the property within the vehicle.

So, sue the employee you claim stole the ring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">