• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracts and Documents Required for Pre-selling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilii123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada.

Hello,

I would like someone to develop software for me within a specific time frame (i.e. 3-4 months). I plan on pre-selling the product idea to generate enough money for the development process.

A few questions:

I am not sure which contracts, agreements, or legal documents I need to present to him to ensure he fulfills his end of the deal without any further issues. I would like to offer him either equity or the money generated from the pre-sales. Which legal documents do I require to ensure the rights of the product are handed over to me after his job is complete? I am also concerned about theft of the product to a certain degree.

My understanding of the legal system in Canada is limited at best. I have bought a software called 'business-in-a-box' which contains over 1500 legal document templates in a MS Word format, but I do not know which ones to use, exactly. I hear that I may need an NDA agreement, but I'm sure there are many more.

Also, at which point will I need to register a business in order to accept payments from customers after the product is handed over to me from the developer?

Thank you kindly ~

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada.

Hello,

I would like someone to develop software for me within a specific time frame (i.e. 3-4 months). I plan on pre-selling the product idea to generate enough money for the development process.

A few questions:

I am not sure which contracts, agreements, or legal documents I need to present to him to ensure he fulfills his end of the deal without any further issues. I would like to offer him either equity or the money generated from the pre-sales. Which legal documents do I require to ensure the rights of the product are handed over to me after his job is complete? I am also concerned about theft of the product to a certain degree.

My understanding of the legal system in Canada is limited at best. I have bought a software called 'business-in-a-box' which contains over 1500 legal document templates in a MS Word format, but I do not know which ones to use, exactly. I hear that I may need an NDA agreement, but I'm sure there are many more.

Also, at which point will I need to register a business in order to accept payments from customers after the product is handed over to me from the developer?

Thank you kindly ~
This site handles US law questions only. Sorry. You will need to seek assistance from an attorney in your area of Canada.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not sure which contracts, agreements, or legal documents I need to present to him to ensure he fulfills his end of the deal without any further issues.
As mentioned above, we only handle US law matters, but please keep in mind that there's nothing you can do to absolutely ensure that another person does what you expect them to do. You can only protect yourself in case they don't.

Additionally, I find your choice of words interesting (and I might be reading too much in to it.) You don't want any "further issues"? If you're already having issues, it might be wise to move on to a different developer.

quincy

Because there appear to be several issues that need addressing by ilii123 before getting his product ready for development, he would be smart to sit down with a business law attorney in Canada prior to thoughts of complicating matters with the addition of a developer.

In other words, a non-disclosure agreement and licensing of rights are only two of many things that need to be worked out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">