• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cyber bullying/harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinemarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My sister had some nude pictures she emailed to her boyfriend a few years ago. Someone had hacked into his email and stolen the pictures and are now creating fake profiles on facebook, posting the nude pictures, and saying horrible things. Before it can be reported to facebook, the profile gets deleted. The police have been contacted and there is a report filed.
We know who did it, but the problem is we don't know how to prove it to press charges.
Can we press charges? How do we go about proving this person is the one who did it? Can we get a warrant to seise their computer to prove its the computer that profile was created from?
The person who we believe has done this has been harassing my sister for quite some time now and no actions have been taken. What can we do to stop this person from doing this again?

Isis1

you cannot press charges. only the DA's office can. it would be up to them to press charges or not. your sister can file a report and see where that goes. you cannot get a warrant. only the DA's office can do that IF they decide to go forward with an investigation.

DAD10

The beginning of your nightmare....

OK...... step 1 file a police report, document everything-but chances are this will be tough-try (ask) the police for warrants to facebook (whomever the accts are with)-its easier say if someone were to breach you computer and you can prove it-however that not being the case. Good Luck

tinemarie

she did file a police report right away. as pictures were being uploaded to this fake profile, she had the police there. do we need to have a copy of it to file with the DA's office?
or do the police do that?

DAD10

Logon to your local DA's website-they should have a site for identity theft/computer crimes (I have a similar yet much more serious case going-it went from 3rd party report -police-warrants-then to DA). The DA's website should be a good start. After you file a police report (that is).

tinemarie

Im trying to look up a DA's office in Illinois and all i can find is a states attorney's office. Will that work?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">