• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ty88

What is the name of your state?Georgia

A friend of mine was threatened to a defamation of charector lawsuit, over the posting of negitive things said about a person, through PRIVATE fourms. The man hacked into the website, read it and is now trying to sue. What are the legalities over this?

S

seniorjudge

Ty88 said:
What is the name of your state?Georgia

A friend of mine was threatened to a defamation of charector lawsuit, over the posting of negitive things said about a person, through PRIVATE fourms. The man hacked into the website, read it and is now trying to sue. What are the legalities over this?
Were the things you said about this person true or false?

BelizeBreeze

Let me get my crystal ball out of the closet and I'll tell you....now where did I put the damn thing?

By the way, his hacking into the site, IF it can be proven, has nothing whatsoever to do with substantiating a cause for libel.

Ty88

The things said were an opinion on the product he sells. I believe them to be true, but it is a matter of opinion.

Ty88

Also in the websites terms of service, it says

3. You may not attempt to access any restricted area that you do not have access to: this includes private forums, password protected forums, accounts of InvisionFree staff or other members, Control Panels, or any board's Admin CP.

Therefor can they counter sue him for breaking their rules?

One more thing, it in now way affected his PERSONAL reputation, just the products reputation.

S

seniorjudge

Ty88 said:
The things said were an opinion on the product he sells. I believe them to be true, but it is a matter of opinion.
Okay, here is my typical lawyer answer:

It depends.

What it depends on is if your opinion is based in fact some way. If there were a defamation suit, it would be fact heavy, meaning there are tons of facts and the court would have to sift through them.

You published the statements when you put them on the website.

S

seniorjudge

Ty88 said:
So even though it was agaisnt the product he sells, not he as a reatailer, he can sue?
Anybody can sue for anything at anytime anywhere. Whether the lawsuit would be successful or not, of course, I have no way of telling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">