• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook Harassment..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcdxyz1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I've read through some of the other postings to get a bit of an idea on what to say and how to clearly state whats going on, but if anything I say is confusing or hard to understand, please let me know, I'll try to be as clear as I can be.

Over the past few months, I've been getting harassed by a former "friend" online. It's been on and off since I dont chat much anymore but it's still there. Basically, here's the whole scenario and what happened. I play games on FB and have made quite a few friends, possibly some enemies as well. Either way, one of the games played, I joined a group or a "family", we all became friends and helped each other out when we needed help. After some time, I became one of the leaders while my so called friend wasnt. Basically here's where things twist a bit, so called friend was going out with a girl on FB, but they broke up, and she started talking to me. Since then, he had some negativity towards me but never said it. I started going out with the girl but we broke up, and after that, I left the game family. Since then, I have been minding my own business and playing my games, yet he continues to harass me. He's searched my name, my information, my number, etc. all online, and whenever I do go into any chat, he's constantly harassing me or talking about me somewhere. Earlier today, one of my friends on FB messaged me saying that he was talking crap to her about me, telling her my info (name, number, family names, religion, ethnicity, etc) and other crap. She ignored him but did let me know.

In the end, basically, what can I do? I dont know much about the legal system but if there's anything I can do, it would be helpful. I am ignoring him and not listening to anything he has to say, he never contacts me directly because I've closed all modes for that, I've blocked him everywhere. But he does harass some of my friends now, which I feel bad about. Is there anything I can do? Also, is it illegal to get someone's personal information online?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I've read through some of the other postings to get a bit of an idea on what to say and how to clearly state whats going on, but if anything I say is confusing or hard to understand, please let me know, I'll try to be as clear as I can be.

Over the past few months, I've been getting harassed by a former "friend" online. It's been on and off since I dont chat much anymore but it's still there. Basically, here's the whole scenario and what happened. I play games on FB and have made quite a few friends, possibly some enemies as well. Either way, one of the games played, I joined a group or a "family", we all became friends and helped each other out when we needed help. After some time, I became one of the leaders while my so called friend wasnt. Basically here's where things twist a bit, so called friend was going out with a girl on FB, but they broke up, and she started talking to me. Since then, he had some negativity towards me but never said it. I started going out with the girl but we broke up, and after that, I left the game family. Since then, I have been minding my own business and playing my games, yet he continues to harass me. He's searched my name, my information, my number, etc. all online, and whenever I do go into any chat, he's constantly harassing me or talking about me somewhere. Earlier today, one of my friends on FB messaged me saying that he was talking crap to her about me, telling her my info (name, number, family names, religion, ethnicity, etc) and other crap. She ignored him but did let me know.

In the end, basically, what can I do? I dont know much about the legal system but if there's anything I can do, it would be helpful. I am ignoring him and not listening to anything he has to say, he never contacts me directly because I've closed all modes for that, I've blocked him everywhere. But he does harass some of my friends now, which I feel bad about. Is there anything I can do? Also, is it illegal to get someone's personal information online?

oh, jeez, could this be anymore obvious.

hellllloooo delete the dude, and block him.

be more careful about the info you share what you keep private and who you allow to be your friend... :rolleyes:

ok, well since you already did that, my suggestion is to ignore it till he gets tired of messing with you.

abcdxyz1

Thank you for your reply.

I have blocked and ignored him, I have completely removed all my info from FB and have made everything private, but the thing is, even before, I didnt have any anything open, I had no information in it, he some how got my phone number and now he has a lot of my info. :confused::confused:

Banned_Princess

Thank you for your reply.

I have blocked and ignored him, I have completely removed all my info from FB and have made everything private, but the thing is, even before, I didnt have any anything open, I had no information in it, he some how got my phone number and now he has a lot of my info. :confused::confused:
well, I dont know what to tell you.

why dont you take your complaint down to you local precent, see how serious they take your problem, and take it from there.

Yep, if he is harassing you by telephone, you always have the option of taking out a restraining order/pressing charges. They are relatively cheap if not free (depends on the jurisdiction) and generally easy to get as long as you have credible proof that you are being harassed/stalked. Check to see if you local court has a website (most do) and see if there is information about protective orders on there. You can always call the court clerk as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">