• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Game Development

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyface

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Australia?
Hey there, I just wanted to ask some opinions.

I worked for a guy from the USA doing game development. We had a contract that ended at the start of the year which stated the rules under which I was to work, my pay rate and a royalty on the game I was making for him.

Fast forward to now, he has "let me go" however the work I completed from January until May was not under contract.
However he has said that I was not going to receive ANY royalties for the game even though I have countless emails of him promising me royalties on certain things.

Do I have any legal basis for the royalties and what would I be advised to do from here?
Is the game that I programmed technically my own work and can I stop him from using it?
Anything else I should do?

Thanks for any input!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Australia?
Hey there, I just wanted to ask some opinions.

I worked for a guy from the USA doing game development. We had a contract that ended at the start of the year which stated the rules under which I was to work, my pay rate and a royalty on the game I was making for him.

Fast forward to now, he has "let me go" however the work I completed from January until May was not under contract.
However he has said that I was not going to receive ANY royalties for the game even though I have countless emails of him promising me royalties on certain things.

Do I have any legal basis for the royalties and what would I be advised to do from here?
Is the game that I programmed technically my own work and can I stop him from using it?
Anything else I should do?

Thanks for any input!
It will be difficult for you to seek compensation for the work you performed from January through May if you did not have a contract outlining the terms under which the work was to be completed. It becomes even more difficult because you are in Australia and the fellow who employed you is in the US.

What you will probably need first is a personal review of the original contract and its terms to determine if you retain any rights in the work or if you transferred all rights in the work to the guy in the US. I suggest you contact an IP attorney in Australia, one who understands US laws, to do this personal review. Take with you when you see this attorney not only your original contract but also all communications you have had with the fellow that relate to the game development and payment of royalties.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">