• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding a gaming competition online.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Akavicious

I consider hiring a gaming server (for competitive games like Counter Strike),
and in that server I want to hold a competition / tournament for Twitch streamers. (people who play online games on live camera, and have a lot of viewers.)

I will present the competitions via Youtube.

I'd like to monetize my videos of the competition, give prizes to the winners.

Is it legal if I just do that?
If not - how can I do this without any legal problems?
What am I forbidden to do?

single317dad

I consider hiring a gaming server (for competitive games like Counter Strike),
and in that server I want to hold a competition / tournament for Twitch streamers. (people who play online games on live camera, and have a lot of viewers.)

I will present the competitions via Youtube.

I'd like to monetize my videos of the competition, give prizes to the winners.

Is it legal if I just do that?
If not - how can I do this without any legal problems?
What am I forbidden to do?
Akavicious, what is the location you intend to operate this enterprise from? Where will your gamers be located?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/07/why-nintendo-can-legally-shut-down-any-smash-bros-tournament-it-wants/

Public performance of video games, especially for profit, has been in the news off and on over the past several years. The easy answer here is that without Valve's consent, you risk a lawsuit and removal of your videos from Twitch and YouTube.

The folks at Twitch deal with this issue all the time, and I recommend you contact them and see if they have any advice to get you started. They may have established contacts with the people you need to speak to in order to conduct your tournament legally. Start here:

http://www.twitch.tv/p/legal

You've probably noticed the plethora of tournament videos for games such as Counter Strike and League of Legends on YouTube recently. Rest assured that those tournaments (ans teams) are sponsored by corporate interests, and everyone involved is paid, including the rights owners of the games played. Be prepared to compensate Valve if you use their game (especially to make money).

Last edited:

Akavicious

Israel, and the gamers i guess from their houses all around the world.

so I understand this is pretty hopeless as long as I want to arrange something small without causing too much noise and legal authorizations.

thank you for you detailed answer!

quincy

Israel, and the gamers i guess from their houses all around the world.

so I understand this is pretty hopeless as long as I want to arrange something small without causing too much noise and legal authorizations.

thank you for you detailed answer!
Israel's laws will apply to you.

In the US, the states are starting to regulate the eSports games if they do not already fall under a state's sweepstakes and gambling laws. And you are already responsible for obtaining all permissions necessary from the rights-holders of the games.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">